Author Topic: VEC300 Not initializing  (Read 2496 times)

Offline CKlein

• Confirmed
VEC300 Not initializing
« on: June 07, 2019, 03:43:39 PM »
I've got a VEC300 48V system and the golden 5KW BLDC.
I've got 48V coming from my Chevy Volt Lipo battery to the controller:  Check
I've got 48V on the elock circuit (and shorted together)

I get no controller light, and random mV to the throttle 5V and phase wires.
This is the initial setup, so it's never worked correctly.

You can still plug it into the computer (via USB), the light will come on and blink 16 times, and you can upload and download program parameters in what would seem to be a normal way.

Is there anything I'm missing, or other system checks I can perform before declaring the controller fried?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: VEC300 Not initializing
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:46:36 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Something sounds wrong if you have full battery voltage at the controller and the elock wire but you're still not getting the correct +5V feed from the controller (assuming that the controller's voltage has been correctly set to 48V).

Make sure that the +5V feeds for the throttle and Hall sensors are not trapped or grounded somewhere on the vehicle chassis.

Check that the three Blue throttle wires are connected to the throttle correctly, as it could ground out the +5V supply if it was incorrectly connected to the signal wire of a potentiometer type throttle by mistake. Unplug the Red and White +5V wire and check the voltage while it is disconnected.

Disconnect the Hall sensor plug and measure the +5V supply on the Red wire coming from the controller.

If you can't find an obvious external fault, you will have to contact your supplier and explain the problem.

Alan

Offline CKlein

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 02:44:08 PM »
Yep, I've already checked the voltage across the red/black throttle wires with the throttle disconnected and didn't get anything like 5V.  The random mV is interesting, because if I don't short the e-lock it drops to zero.  So it appears it's trying to turn on and send voltage but it's not getting the job done.

Sent an email to Gary who is obviously doing this in his free time, and haven't heard back yet.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:51:41 PM »
As it does seem to be a controller fault, if the controller was purchased from Gary, it might be better to open a support ticket to get things moving a bit quicker.

Alan