Author Topic: Ebike bike Wheel pulling to one side  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Ebike bike Wheel pulling to one side
« on: May 18, 2019, 10:36:50 PM »
I still can't figure out why my Magic Pie wheel keeps wanting to pull to one side, and I've had two different bike shops look @ it. Neither of them could stop the wheel 100% from wanting to pull to the one side. When I change the tire, I have to tighten the torque arm first, then that same side of the wheel, and only then can I tighten the side that wants to pull to the one side. I don't do it in that order, the wheel pulls too much. Having the bike upside down, it's mostly centered. It's only slightly off on the side. When I grab the spokes and pull in towards me a little bit, the wheel is 100% Centered.

Both Axles are flush in the drop outs, so I can rule that out. I'm wondering if the wheel was not dished correctly ? The only other thing I could do is, find another frame to test the wheel with. If it does the same thing, then I know it's not a frame problem.

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Ebike bike Wheel pulling to one side
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
I tested the frame with original wheel. It's not the frame. Basically I need to get a smaller tire, no bigger than 1.75 and the wheel needs to be dished correctly.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 10:48:04 PM »
You must have a very narrow frame, as I have two different bikes fitted with MPII and MPIII motors using 26" x 2.3" and 26" x 2.35" tyres and I don't have a clearance problem with either one.
Although, it was a completely different story with my original version (Magic Pie I).
Check out this post for more details of how I rectified the original offset rim problem.

Both of the above wheels are fitted with a 7 speed freewheel unit as shown above.

Alan

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 12:28:43 AM by spellchecker »

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:36:25 PM »
Yes, I think the frame is very narrow. I can't go beyond 1.95 with it, and with the wheel off centered with a 1.95 it's very close to the frame. I even tried putting an extra washer on the side that is too close to the frame, and it doesn't make a difference. I asked about it on Endless sphere, and after figuring out the problem was not the frame. The following was suggested to me:

I think you'll have to replace the wheel with right side spokes all outside the hub flange, and left side spokes all inside the hub flange. That won't make your wheel as good as a normal bicycle rear wheel, but it will be much better than what you have now and it will probably allow you to center the rim.

This would be an excellent opportunity to use good quality 14-15ga double butted spokes and a rim drilled for 14ga spokes, instead of the busted Chinese garbage your wheel came with. Even if you succeed in getting the rim dished correctly (which is very unlikely), your current wheel is going to be nothing but trouble because the spokes are too thick to stay tight.

Don't reuse the rim that came with your wheel. Get a better one that has holes that are the right size for 14ga nipples. Luna Cycle has excellent Alex DM24 rims for a very good price. Or you can get a rim with off-center spoke holes to help mitigate the dishing problem with your hub motor.

I'm not a fan of replacing the rim as the motor is still under warranty and this would most certainly void the warranty. Also, if the spokes holes are smaller on a different rim, wouldn't this cause fitting problems with the hub part of the wheel ?? Also what you did to the wheel, is way out of my league. Looks too complicated for me.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 01:22:55 PM »
Personally I would not replace the rim, It is not going to void your warranty but these rims are very solid and strong.

From your description it does sound like the wheel is sitting in the dropouts and cenetered until you tighten up the wheel then it moves. That is not a dishing issue but more a problem with the tightening process. Some bike dropouts are not deep enough and the wheel does tend to slide out a bit when tightening the nuts. I corrected this on one of my bikes with a torque arm on each side.

If it does need to be dished, nothing is simpler than loosening all the spokes on one side of the wheel a quarter turn and tightening all the spokes on the other side a quarter turn. This takes less than 5 minutes and is very simple to do as I show in this video.

https://youtu.be/xBseRk30xMs?t=1091

Gary

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »
I have not been able to figure out how to put a torque arm on the other side yet. My kickstand seems to be in the way.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 03:46:48 PM by Adamsavage79 »