Author Topic: Tell me about batteries  (Read 7671 times)

Offline Draggin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Tell me about batteries
« on: June 30, 2007, 01:32:42 AM »
   It appears that my SLA's that came with the kit are af good quality and will probably keep going for a couple of seasons.  I would like to know about some of the other packs that Golden has listed.  I see that thay have Nimh and Lipo.  Anybody tried these?  It appears that Golden has some really good prices.  I just want to know what can you get if and when replacement becomes necessary.   

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Tell me about batteries
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:16:40 PM »
Golden no longer sells SLA so I got mine from ebatteries BParker@eproductstogo.com.

Bob's site is down right now so email is the only method of contact. His SLA UB12120 run around $85 including shipping with a 1 year warranty.

A word of caution... These batteries are shipped together in the same box via UPS which has some pretty big guys but also some who may mishandle them. I have 2 of his UB12180 batteries on a load test right now since they overheated during recharge (I think from an internal short but could also have been from the fully cushioned enclosure I made from 1/2" Styrofoam sheeting plus a layer of neoprene on the bottom that may have kept excess heat from escaping while the battery was recharging.) My UB12120 batteries have never been effected by overheating, however, and they use the same amount of cushioning.

Also... I came across this site PowerStream several months back and went elsewhere due to their high prices but returned due to their excellence as a source of authoritative battery information. Their prices are still too high but check them out anyway.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:39:05 PM by myelectricbike »