Author Topic: Battery pack  (Read 17427 times)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Battery pack
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 02:21:05 AM »
The last rear wheel kit I got had both the male and the female plugs plus the inline fuse holder and fuse so I think this is the new trend but you may get a kit with only the male connector (female pins). Most techs at a local computer store can help your get the right one.

Also if you are not familar with the term pigtail in electronics you may want to brushup on basic electronics before working with battery packs since minor things like not including a fuse can result in serious trouble including personal injury although possibly not death.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:25:57 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline sock2828

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 02:30:13 AM »
i mostly work in small electronics with things like ICs and PCBs stuff like that

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 02:38:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure pigtail is just referring to short wire leads coming from the socket.  In antenna parlance it is a short piece of coax that has been terminated with the right ends, rather than a long piece of coax you terminate on installation.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 02:39:35 AM »
Pigtails should be self explanatory. If not then you need to brushup on electrical circuits more so than electronic circuits.

Offline sock2828

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 02:46:14 AM »
oh you mean a pigtail? connector like the ones with the plastic caps

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 02:48:53 AM »
Pretty much.  In wiring (not antenna coax) the pigtail probably ends in an unfinished end for you to strip & solder to whatever you need to connect it to.  In antenna coax work it usually means terminated with standard sockets.  Silly difference, yes?

Offline sock2828

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 03:00:38 AM »
Ok I understand it now I knew what it is I just didn't know it was called that

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 03:20:11 AM »
The front wheel drive kit that I just received has a three prong AC plug connected on the battery input wires. The instruction pictures you download from the GM web site show this plugged into the custom built battery box. So it will take a chassis mount female connector (not included) to make this happen. The battery charger also has this same plug on the DC side, which indicates to me that you unplug the motor controller assembly and plug in the charger to charge the batteries. Better yet have two battery boxes, one in use and one being charged.

Dale

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 04:26:18 AM »
You can of course use heaviy duty battery supply connectors some APCs and ebikes use but they are expensive. You can also make some pretty heavy duty connectors yourself since this is one place where even a small amount of resistance can cause thermal problems. To save cash on my 48 volt mod I used a double wire lead and standard double socket house wire recepticles for each battery although its very bulky and requires extra room in the case. Doubling up makes the mod very heavy duty at still the very lowest price. The only problem is that when people see the standard recepticles they think is is powered by 120 volts and therefore can not be provided by the factory although I'm surprised the current connectors did not suffer the same fate.