Author Topic: 36V Brushless Motor w/regen controller...motor doesn't turn  (Read 6286 times)

Offline AWL

• Confirmed
36V Brushless Motor w/regen controller...motor doesn't turn
« on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »
I've looked for similar postings/threads, found a couple with no response.  Would appreciate any help. 

I'm not an electrician and am not familiar with some of the terms (FET?). 

Are there pictures with labels of the inside of a motor?

I have a 36V brushless motor kit with regen controller.  I've followed the instructions posted on the goldenmotor site.  I have everything hooked up as instructed, checked all connections for bent pins etc.

With power disconnected the wheel turns fairly easily in the forward direction, a little stiff in the reverse direction (the hub free wheel doesn't spin right).  With power connected, the motor doesn't respond to throttle but is very difficult to turn in either direction.

I would like trouble shooting help, I have a volt meter to read controller outputs.  I need to know what the readings should be.

Is there a way to test the motor directly w/o the controller?

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: 36V Brushless Motor w/regen controller...motor doesn't turn
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 09:51:57 PM »
You can't test the motor directly without the controller, although you can test the hall sensors inside the motor.  Not being able to turn the motor when it is plugged in sounds like it may be a hall sensor problem.  Check continuity of the wiring, then check to see all the hall sensors are firing correctly.  Search the forum for hall sensor repair.

here's one such thread suggesting using a computer to test the hall sensor output: http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=100.0

Offline AWL

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:42:43 PM »
Thanks,

I suspect the controller.  I’ve been reading on the message board and have done some trouble shooting according to the chart.

1.   With battery disconnected, the wheel turns freely in the forward direction and only a small resistance in reverse (the free wheel doesn’t spin free from the chain/derailer)
2.   With battery connected the wheel is stiff in both directions.
3.   I disconnected all and checked the sensors on the motor, with 5Vdc applied, each cycle as they should.
4.   Using the controller as the power source 2 of the sensors cycle and one maintains a steady 4.5Vdc signal.
5.   I checked the throttle, with a 5Vdc source connected, at zero throttle -  1.1V , at full throttle - ~4.5V  (approximately the same on both sides of the throttle, checking black wire to green and then red wire to green)

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:28:23 PM »
Yup, that's certainly odd behavior.  Since the hall sensors cycle when not powered by the controller they should be fine.  Maybe there is a short somewhere between the power and signal lines on the controller side of the wiring for that sensor.  Hopefully you can get a warranty replacement by contacting sales@goldenmotor.com.  Good luck, they aren't always very responsive.

Let us know if they respond and replace the controller for you, or conversely ignore you and don't reply.  If you tear open the controller let us know what you figure out.