Author Topic: Thumb throttle?  (Read 8408 times)

Offline martinko

• Confirmed
Thumb throttle?
« on: March 03, 2008, 05:47:25 PM »
Could anybody comment on the goldenmotor-thumb throttle please?
I have experience with a twist throttle and I find it find it awful on longer distances, yet I think a thumb throttle could be even worse :-(

Martin.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Thumb throttle?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 01:43:13 AM »
I disliked my twist throttle from the beginning so I converted it to a paddle. The paddle is positioned such that at full throttle, my thumb rests across it in a relaxed state. I also feel I have more control over the bike as I'm grabbing my solid handle bar instead of a plastic barrel. It was well worth the effort of conversion.

Andy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:47:15 AM by ahend »

Offline bumper

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:55:40 AM »
I'm looking for a thumb throttle that is compatible with the 36v brushless GM kit.  I asked for thumb and they sent me the twist >:(. Any suggestions? Preferably cheap. Thanks in advance.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:42:30 AM »
Others have found that if you cut the twist throttle down to just a stub, say ¾ of an inch or so, that it is quite comfortable, although still not a thumb throttle. Check on eBay, there are always some available there. Look for one with a hall sensor output and a 36v LED charge indicator.

Offline tartosuc

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »
Others have found that if you cut the twist throttle down to just a stub, say ¾ of an inch or so, that it is quite comfortable, although still not a thumb throttle. Check on eBay, there are always some available there. Look for one with a hall sensor output and a 36v LED charge indicator.

so  the trottle part is only at the inside end of it?..cool

i think I will cut mine and make it like a twist shifer

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
Will this work?

Yes, that will work. The max output is listed at 4.3 volts and that is consistent with what I found a full throttle to supply. If you get up much higher in speed control voltage, the controller cuts out, I'm not sure why.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »
i think I will cut mine and make it like a twist shifer

Quite, cut away! The chrome plated plastic end cap comes off with a screw accessed through the barrel bore. After removing it, slip the rubber grip off so you can cut it cleanly with shears or a razor to match your new barrel stub length. The barrel is best cut with a hacksaw and then squared up with a bit of filing.

Post some pics of how it turns out.

Offline Lanchon

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 01:48:13 AM »
> If you get up much higher in speed control voltage, the controller cuts out, I'm not sure why.

if that's true, I'd guess it's an attempt to detect a short between power and output or an open ground; both situations would otherwise trigger max power output.

Offline ahend

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2008, 02:39:30 AM »
If you get up much higher in speed control voltage, the controller cuts out, I'm not sure why.

I may be all wet on this point. This action was noticed while working on a microprocessor circuit to enslave the throttle. My micro was reading both the throttle output and a pot adjusted voltage divider tap using an onboard analog to digital converter. I then added the two voltage readings together and sent out a signal of that magnitude to the controller. When adjusting the pot, I found that the controller would cut out if I turned it up too high.

Thinking about it now I'm quite sure that what happened was the total value from my addition exceeded the 8 bit register holding the sum. This would cause it to overflow and roll over to zero, thus causing the micro to send 0 volts to the controller.

Well... I'm glad I thought that through. Please disregard that statement.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 02:41:59 AM by ahend »