Author Topic: Is there a "real" us warehouse?  (Read 18414 times)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Is there a "real" us warehouse?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
SR1156 is actually a consumer product designation rather than a vehicle regulatory law and often cited by ebike enthusiasts when taking their ebike on the subway or bus or getting stopped by a cop. SR1156 merely states that in terms of product definition that an ebike with a motor of less than 750 watts with a top speed no greater than 20 MPH and functioning pedals is still a bike. By so defining an ebike as such an ebike does not fall under motor vehicle law and can not be regulated as such by any state in the US. Although states can not make restrictions tighter or misinterpret or over rule Federal law they can lift restrictions as in California where the top speed has been raised to 30 MPH.

I was only going about .5 MPH when it hit me that my balance was lost. That is what makes it dangerous - not knowing that 0 MPH can result in a dangerous fall and is why I have stayed away from motorbikes that are not agile below 20 MPH and that I can not lift (Harleys) and high-speed stuff like Honda Interceptors but I'm still very much at risk although more limited somewhat.

As for morbidity and mortality statistics I recently saw tables and charts published for all vehicle types and for pedestrians as well. Think it was at www.dot.gov

« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 10:03:41 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 03:24:37 PM »
Sorry to hear about your accident and injuries. When it comes to two-wheeled transportation, it doesn't take any speed at all for serious problems to happen. I broke an ankle a few years back while trying to pop a wheelie on my kids' Razor scooter (yeah, stupid, I know :'( ). I was barely moving, the front end popped up much more easily than I expected, and before I knew what was happening I was on my butt with my right foot underneath, in a very unnatural position. 3 days in the hospital, surgery, 3 weeks off work, crutches for a couple of months, another surgery to remove the plates & screws 9 months later... It was a good year before I could walk & run without a limp. I learned, as did you in your accident, that low speed agility is big, and thinking through what will happen with the weight you're carrying if a fall does occur is an important safety consideration. In your case, it was the battery weight; in mine, it was my rear end!

It's too bad that people don't consider bikes (whether motorized or not) to be more akin to motor vehicles than pedestrians. Too often I see people doing things on bikes that can only be described as stupid risks. Not long ago a high school kid here was killed on a bike because he was riding along a busy street (downhill) on the sidewalk going against the traffic. A car pulled up on a side street to turn onto that street, directly into the path of the bike; the kid's head hit the windshield, and now he's gone. No helmet, riding at dusk with no lights, no heed to the flow of traffic nor the rules of the road as they pertain to motor vehicles. Totally avoidable death.

I see people riding bikes on sidewalks all the time, most often on the opposite side they should be on. I think it's a behavior that people picked up from some rule for pedestrians when walking on a road with no sidewalk; walking against the traffic allows you to see an approaching car and move out of the way if he doesn't see you. But on a bike, especially a motorized bike, moving with the traffic is much safer than against it. I'm glad that there are regulatory exceptions for motorized bikes, but it's important on the sales end to educate users as to some of the safety issues involved with them.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 01:23:49 AM »
I agree that safety education is the best solution. Knowing how other people have been hurt or killed is extremely important for prevention. It is amazing all of the things that can go wrong if you are carrying too much weight or if weeds get wrapped around the axle or low speed results in your loosing your balance, etc. I, however, do use sidewalks even when bike lanes are available so I can stay out of traffic due to the speed difference. I am also especially careful at intersections and keep my hands on the breaks.  Even if you do everything right, however, a drunk or heart attack victim can still ruin your day. I not only say a little prayer before leaving the house but make sure all food is back in the frig and my pee cup is empty.  :-[