Author Topic: use of front chainrings  (Read 4652 times)

Offline flyguy_helo

use of front chainrings
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »
Hi All,
I was curious. On other sites people with e-bikes often only have the one chainring in front and use the rear casette to adjust for hills or gain a bit more speed. I notice in many pictures of the golden motor builds that they still have the original 3 gears in the front. On their site golden motor offer a complete e-bike and it has only one chainring in the front. On most forums people claim never using more than 3 or 4 of the rear sprockets, some claiming to use only 2.
So my question today was addressed to all of you that have made the conversion. On your longer trips do you use the front gears at all or do you stay on one gear all the time. I was planning to remove my 3 gear chainring and putting just one 44teeth gear in its place and use the 6 cassette rear spocket that is supplied by golden motor.
I just cannot imagine having all these lever all over the handlebar and putting them to good use. Just curious.
I am looking forward to your comments.
Cheers,

Larry

Offline PJames

Re: use of front chainrings
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:29:27 AM »
I put an oversized chainring on my bike and that is all I normally use. I did once use a lower gear when my battery died. My advice would be put the big chainring on, leave the others,remove the derailer and shifter. The extra weight of the other chainrings is small and in a pinch you and shift by hand.

Offline RWD

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:35:49 PM »
I went to a larger chainring too. Plus, I moved the shifter to the left side of the handlebar. So with the right hand I'm using the twist throttle and the left hand I'm shifting.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »
i removed the shifters and i've cut the cable so I only use the front small one and the back small one to go from 0, to 5 km/h or even less.

and yes you can use a big chainring to peddle along with the motor but I go 40 without it so why should I ;D

btw I am 15 years