Author Topic: 2 1/2 year old hub 36 volt hub kit with battery problem. Help appreciated.  (Read 5955 times)

Offline tex tiles

• Confirmed
Hello, I own a Golden Motor 36volt kit that I installed new on my bike about 2 1/2 years ago. The lead acid batteries finally died recently and I have 3 mostly unused 12 volt batteries to replace them with. (They were given to me by someone who's GM kit caught fire so he went back to pedaling ;) The batteries were almost new so he thought I could use them after mine died. They have been sitting charged unused for about a year and a half.
After I switched the batteries and wired up the new ones in series, I plugged in my charger which was green so it showed a full charge. When I plugged in the battery to the bike, the red light came on and just a flicker of one green light. No power to the wheel. So I checked each battery with my multi-meter and 2 batteries showed 16 volts and one only 7 volts. So I unsoldered the batteries and charged the one up past 12 volts and hooked them back together and plugged in to the controller and still no power to the wheel. The red light and one flickering green. So I hooked up the 12 volt charger to the one battery again but this time did not unsolder the series wiring. I only left it on for a minute and then checked the voltage and it showed over 20 volts on the 2 batteries and 16 on the one. So I stopped that right away and went back and de-soldered the one battery and charged it some more.
At this point the battery pack has around 60 volts, but the controller will not run the motor. Just one red light and a flickering green.
Should I try to run a 12 volt load on each battery seperately to discharge them down and then hook them back up and let the GM charger do it's job? Is there something I'm missing?
What is the maximum voltage these controllers can handle?
Everything worked fine before I switched the battery. I miss my bike.....

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
''What is the maximum voltage these controllers can handle?''

Dear Forum Members,

Our Cruise Controllers are able to withstand voltages higher than its rated voltage up to 60V DC.
For example:

24V Controller is able to work with voltages ranging from 24V~60V DC.
36V Controller is able to work with voltages ranging from 36V~60V DC.

(a quote from yao yuan)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Put a volt meter across the battery pack and see what the voltage is when you try to power the motor.

It looks like one or more of the batteries may have been damaged by leaving them for such a long period without re-charging.
Stored lead acid batteries should not be allowed to self-discharge below 12.5V and should ideally have a top up charge every 3-6 months, but can be longer if stored below 5 degrees C.

Quote from: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm
The sealed lead-acid battery can be stored for up to two years. A periodic topping charge, also referred to as 'refresh charge', is required to prevent the open cell voltage from dropping below 2.10V. (Some lead-acid batteries may allow lower voltage levels.) Insufficient charge induces sulfation, an oxidation layer on the negative plate that inhibits the current flow on charge and discharge. Topping charge and/or cycling may restore some of the capacity losses in the early stages.

It might help to connect them together in parallel and gently charge them with a 12V trickle charger for 24hrs or even longer. Monitor them during the charge to ensure they do not go above 14.5V-15V max.

Alan

Offline ccbreder

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Alan has the right idea. Lead acid will take a surface charge and read good volts, but not have any capacity for amps. Your local NAPA will help you with a load test to prove your batteries.

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
Hi there,

60V Max, not Nominal

Offline tex tiles

• Confirmed
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. Would a new GM Lithium battery work with my setup or would I need a new controller etc as well?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 2 1/2 year old hub 36 volt hub kit with battery problem. Help appreciated.
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:29:53 AM »

A new GM 36V Lithium battery will work fine with your existing setup, but only if your controller has not been damaged by an excessive supply voltage from the overcharged batteries.

If the batteries were connected and their combined voltage straight off the charger was above 60V, there's a possibility it could have blown some components within the controller, but if you're lucky, the controller may still be OK.

Alan