Author Topic: Pedelec has stopped  (Read 2069 times)

Offline KimABQ

• Confirmed
Pedelec has stopped
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:21 PM »
I have a 48v front wheel Edge unit. It is working very well except for one issue.
My PAS/Pedelec system worked well until just recently. I suspected it was a controller problem but since I was going to replace the controller for other reasons I was not concerned. However, even with a new controller the PAS still does not engage when peddling. I DO NOT have any display system.

Here are two wiring combinations I have tried without any success:

MOTOR      PEDELEC
Red                Red
Black              Blue
Yellow           Yellow
Blue

MOTOR      PEDELEC
Red                Red
Black            Yellow
Yellow            Blue
Blue

Voltage between Red and Black motor wires is 4.36vdc whether peddling or not.

Questions:
Does the controller need to be reset like in older units?
Can the pedelec unit fail?
Is there any way to test the pedelec other than mounting and peddling?
Can I use the Cycle Analyst pedelec unit on my Edge if I don't have the Cycle Analyst?

Thanks,
Kim

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Pedelec has stopped
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
Hi Kim,

The pedelec is usually enabled by default so it should work if fitted correctly. (Magnet disc rotates in the direction of the arrow, and the magnets should ideally be as close as possible to the sensor, but without actually touching it.)

My GM Pedelec sensor units have Red, Black and Green wires:

Red = +5V
Black = Ground (0V)
Green = Output signal to Yellow wire from controller.

I tested my first pedelec unit by putting a bolt through the centre of the magnet disc so that I could spin it with a drill while holding the sensor in the required position.
As yours is already fitted to the trike, you may be able to slip the chain off the chainwheel to see what happens when you spin the pedals.

There are two main types of pedelec units, Pulsed or Variable Voltage.
The GM controller uses a pulsed type, but I'm not sure which type the Cycle Analyst uses. (Gary may know) :-\

If it is a pulsed type, it should work in conjunction with the GM controller.

Alan

Offline KimABQ

• Confirmed
Re: Pedelec has stopped
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 05:06:22 AM »
Thanks Alan.
My Golden Motor standard pedelec did work with old controller until just a few weeks before I replaced the controller.
I am testing it on the road and while the trike is sitting on my test stand, and the wiring combos I tried (see above) did nothing. I just wondered if anyone ever had one of these fail. I thought they were pretty much bullet-proof.
I think the CA unit is pulsed. I have a similar three wire on another trike from a different vendor. They are just so much easier to attach and adjust (hase Kettweisel Cross does not mount GM model very well), so I may replace mine with one of the CA styles.
Thanks once more for your help!
Kim