Author Topic: Burnt out VEC 500 vc LingBo  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Alex T

• Confirmed
Burnt out VEC 500 vc LingBo
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:00:53 PM »
Hello respected community.  My name is Alex.  I'm making a prototype of an electric off-road vehicle, my powertrain consists of two 10kW motors and two VEC 500 controllers from Golden Motor, the battery voltage is nominally 72V.
Any advice would be welcome, my problem started when one of the controllers went out of order during testing on the chassis.  During the autopsy, the keys of two phases were found to be broken.  I had to very quickly look for a replacement, and I was able to buy two externally similar controllers from the LingBo company in 2016, I did not know this information until the moment of purchase.  I am very worried about the fact that on the LingBo controller I cannot change the engine speed by pressing the throttle valve, that is, with the minimum start, the motor immediately picks up maximum speed and when pressed further, they do not change upward.  At the same time, the remaining VEC 500 from Golden Motor does not have such a problem, the speed there changes from 0-max.  The software is very similar in appearance, but FOC files are not interchangeable.  There is no throttle type selection in software from LingBo.  If anyone is able to help me I will be very grateful.  Below I attach links to files.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1GcO-lR468TEPsEjJj0Ydzev_R4cX54/view?usp=sharing

Offline Alex T

• Confirmed
Re: Burnt out VEC 500 vc LingBo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 07:02:31 PM »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
Hi Alex andto the forum.

It sounds like the replacement controller uses "Torque" control (motor current) instead of "Speed/Velocity" control (motor rpm), therefore the controller will be unable to regulate the speed of the motor while you are running it in a no-load condition where the motor will only be drawing minimal current.

When you are able to test the motor under load, the throttle should then behave progressively and the controller should be able to regulate the current being delivered to the motor relative to the throttle signal voltage.  ;)

Alan

Offline Alex T

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 05:26:15 PM »
Greetings to Alan! You were really right and it worked as soon as I put the load on the wheels. Two controllers are controlled by a throttle from 0 - max. But there was one not pleasant moment when I release the accelerator pedal, the motor shaft first stops and then makes a slight rotational movement in the reverse direction, thus slightly pulling the whole car back.

Offline Alex T

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »
Hello!  Again I need your help)) Our platform does not have a standard steering, turns are carried out either to the left or to the right side.  We also do not have traditional brakes.  Everything is controlled from the remote control panel by sending commands from our controller to the VEC-500 traction motor controllers.  While driving, we make a turn by turning on the brake of one of the motors, while the second continues to rotate.  The problem is that for a full turn while driving, it is not enough just to hold the brake button.  The turn is very hard.  Default EBS system settings are as in the attached file.  In this connection, I want to ask the question, is it possible to increase the effort during braking, what values ??should be changed in this case?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1flLUx4U7as8-WAcx6YTW4VN3LdzV6GVA/view?usp=sharing

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 05:42:41 PM »
Trying to rotate a vehicle with a fixed rubber tyre on each corner will take a lot of effort as all wheels have to slip in relation to the ground before the vehicle can rotate, and this could require a lot of power if there is a lot of weight on each wheel.
I would expect a tracked vehicle to turn much easier then a four wheeled vehicle as the total vehicle weight is spread evenly across the length of the track and not concentrated on just the two outer ends of each track.

If independent mechanical brakes are not fitted, a pair of Forward/Neutral/Reverse (boat style) throttles (one controlling each side) might allow reverse power to be applied to the inner wheels in addition to the EBS braking force if necessary for tighter turns.  :-\

Maximum EBS will be obtained by entering the highest acceptable current value into the Reverse charging current (A) parameter, but I suspect this will only make a difference at higher motor rpm.

Alan