Author Topic: My wishlist for a nice ebike controller  (Read 5944 times)

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
My wishlist for a nice ebike controller
« on: March 06, 2009, 11:16:31 PM »
Hi Golden Motor,

The new BAC 28x series controllers are great. If you want to make them even better, you should add the following, in this order:

1) Water proof connections
2) Input for wheel RPM (magnet on wheel and pickup coil connected to controller) to be able to sense cycle speed
3) Possibility to adjust wheel diameter used for speed calculation, max motor speed and the speed for when the power is starting to be reduced (EU/EN 15194 requirements)
4) Output for cycleanalyst (see http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml)
5) Bicycle LED light power supply with programmable current limit (50, 100, 200, 350 mA) that can supply up to almost battery voltage - i.e. step down converter

And, finally, full EN 15194 compliance.

IMHO, Per  :)

Offline wepbep

• Confirmed
Re: My wishlist for a nice ebike controller
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 09:36:16 PM »
Yes Per,

that would be great, and aftermarket upgrading for the ones that already builded a bike...

/Marc

Offline dc-bikes.com

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »
Hello,
When making the controller a European compliant one, I think the pedal assist mode should be changed into a proportional pedal assist mode. I understand this is the way European regulation compliant e bikes allow controlling the power delivered to the wheel without needing a thumb throttle.
Right now, when in pedal assist mode, the "magic controller" asks for full power as soon as pedalling is detected irrespective of the pedalling speed.
If Goldenmotor makes the pedal assist mode the by default or only mode without changing the pedal assist into proportional pedal assist, then there will be no possibility to ask for less power.
I find the proportional pedal assist a second nature when you get used to it...

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
I find the proportional pedal assist a second nature when you get used to it...

In EN 15194:2009 there is wisely enough no requirement for power control based on pedal power or pedal force. Unfortunately, some of the "pedelec" implementations from GM and others using coarse sensor wheels and brake switches, with no speed sensors or motor current control are lackluster and could cause dangerous situations in certain occations. In addition, the best EPAC torque sensors are heavy, complex and does not fit well within a high-performance, low weight commuter bike designs, being uncompatible with some special designs like belt drives and krank planet reduction gears.

I agree that the proportional control of an ebike with pedal torque sensor is a god user interface for automatic power assist. My opinion, however, is that automatic power control based on a torque sensor is not always the optimum control algorithm. Especially for for high-speed commuting use, and for long distance trekking a user manipulated/controlled power-assist where the cyclist can at will modulate power gives a better ebike. I think you can compare it to the discussion of using manual vs. automatic transmission on a sports car - manual gives better times and less fuel consumption, but reduces the burden on the driver. I have described my suggestion in a different thread (http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=499.15.

Per