Author Topic: VEC500 and 10kw Not spinning, just clicking sound, HELP!!!  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Rafa/M

• Confirmed
VEC500 and 10kw Not spinning, just clicking sound, HELP!!!
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:56:42 AM »
Hi, I hope someone can point me to the right direction

I have a vec500 controller with 10Kw water cooled motor at 72v, 110ah Lead acid battery pack.

I hooked the motor to the car trans, install all wires and used controller unmounted, all worked perfect. So I started to disconnect everything to mount controller in place.

first to disconnect was batteries, then I disconnected phase wires but one touched a connected one and had a spark, something like when you first connect the controller, so I remove all and mounted all in place.

Now motor will not spin, I only get a click when throttle is applied, nothing else. Battery reads 75v

checked resistance on all motor wires, all reads 1.1 when check in pairs same color, (yellow to Yellow), except blue-blue, it has no reading.

do you thing I fried the motor? or did the spark damaged controller? how can I test controller?

any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE-----------

just found the LED is BLinking, first 13 times so I disabled Temperature protection, now I have 3 blinks, according to manual have a short-circuit phase

I guess must be the Blue phase, because there is no resistance between each wire..

Is it possible to open this motor?

thanks AGain

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:33:46 AM by Rafa/M »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: VEC500 and 10kw Not spinning, just clicking sound, HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:36:06 PM »
Hi Rafa,

I don't think your problem will be in the stator windings because the 10kW motor has dual stators which are electrically isolated from each other apart from where their terminals join together at the controller.

If one of the stators had a break (or a short circuit) in one of its phase windings, you would still be able to run the motor on the other stator (but with reduced power) by simply disconnecting the phase wires coming from the faulty stator and completely isolating them, as the faulty stator would still generate an AC voltage output when the motor is spinning.

The 10kW motor also has two separate sets of Hall sensors and temperature sensors (one for each stator assembly) so if one set fails, you simply plug in the other set in its place. Try swapping to the unused Hall sensor connector to see if the motor works.

To check the resistance of the stator windings you would need to check one stator at a time, and measure between Blue-Green, Green-Yellow and Yellow-Blue. The resistance should be similar on all three measurements (on each of the two stators).

I suspect that you initially checked the resistance between the pairs of same coloured wires as each colour was removed, leaving the blue wires connected to the controller until they were removed and tested last of all, otherwise you should have seen no reading on all three pairs with all terminals isolated from each other:
Yellow-Yellow = no reading
Green-Green = no reading
Blue-Blue = no reading

Make sure that you definitely have the correct colour wires attached to the correct terminals on the controller.
The default connections should be as shown:
Yellow phase wires to terminal "U"
Green phase wires to terminal "V"
Blue phase wires to terminal "W"

If the wiring was changed to reverse the motor's default direction of rotation, you would also need to change the Hall sensor wiring to suit.

To reverse the motor's default direction of rotation from the standard wiring, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals, and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must also be transposed on the Hall sensor wiring (Ideally, the wiring on the controller side of the Hall sensor connector should be modified so that either set of Hall sensors (or a replacement motor or controller) would automatically be correctly connected).

If you've altered any of the parameters since the motor was working it is possible that one of the parameters that was changed could be responsible for the problem.

If you haven't altered the programming of the controller, it is more likely to be a poor connection somewhere in the wiring, unless you're really unlucky and the controller itself has somehow been damaged by the mysterious spark on the phase wires.   ::)

Alan

Offline Rafa/M

• Confirmed
Re: VEC500 and 10kw Not spinning, just clicking sound, HELP!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »
Thanks Alan

Yes I Inverted rotation, and it was working perfect inverted phase and Hall wires.

Nothing changed since all worked, checked all connections with no luck, and the led giving me "short- circuit phase" just killed me inside.

I have checked controller and found "continuity" between blue and black terminals.. 

will try to fix the controller or find one I can borrow to test..