Author Topic: Help KT LCD3 error 3 motor hall signal abnormality  (Read 5028 times)

Offline Dcuste

• Confirmed
Help KT LCD3 error 3 motor hall signal abnormality
« on: August 03, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »

I just took delivery on a brand new ebike I purchased on ebay. It came with a hub motor and the KT LCD3 display. The very first time I tried to ride it, the error code 3 came in. I checked all the wires and connectors. They all look good. I then used my voltmeter to verify 5v going to the motor hall sensors between the red and black wires. However when I checked each individual sensor to see if the voltage would pulse up and then down to zero as I turned the wheel, only one of the three sensors worked. The other two showed zero volts to ground the whole time as I turned the back wheel. This procedure is described here.... https://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

Does the results of this test indicate the motor must be disassembled and the hall sensors replaced or fixed?

The seller offered to send me a new controller. Any chance that will solve the error code 3 problem?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Help KT LCD3 error 3 motor hall signal abnormality
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

If it is a problem with the Hall sensors (or the Hall sensor signal wires going to the hubmotor), then a replacement controller is not going to make any difference (unless there is a direct short circuit to ground on two of the Hall sensor signal wires inside the original controller).

I suspect the problem is more likely to be due to the hubmotor than the controller, but if they were able to send you a sensorless controller (that was compatible with the KT-LCD3 display), the Hall sensor fault would no longer be an issue as they would not be required with a sensorless controller.

Alan