Author Topic: [Battery Management System] Cells Balancing  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
[Battery Management System] Cells Balancing
« on: February 07, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
Hi All,

When the BMS balances the battery cells - all the time or only when a charger is connected to it?

Thank you!

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: [Battery Management System] Cells Balancing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 07:07:06 PM »
hi Just,

It depends on what type BMS you have.  Some balance while charging or discharging, others only balance while charging.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
I suppose balancing after disconnection of the charger should be prevented - otherwise BMS will discharge the battery to the lowest cell voltage... Am I wrong?

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 03:31:11 AM »
Hi Just,

Re: active during discharge balancing BMS

If all the cells are at the same voltage, no charge will be transferred.   However, if during discharge a cell voltage drops more than others, the balance can be restored by some BMS by transferring charge from the higher cells to the lower cells. Obviously there is loss involved in the transfer.   Is it worth the extra cost?  Perhaps in a car sized battery, but probably not for a bike sized battery.   But  that is just the opinion of one old geezer cheap skate.   I'd rather buy a battery with greater capacity for the extra money.  Maybe Alan has more knowledge.......Maybe Gary has product knowledge specific to your needs.

TTNF,
Dennis