Author Topic: A new video of the Morgen3Eman  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
A new video of the Morgen3Eman
« on: June 07, 2012, 03:57:59 AM »
My son did a little video of my Morgen.  It still needs to be painted, but it is street drivable, and my grandchildren really like driving it.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A2R_Lz1RCM

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: A new video of the Morgen3Eman
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
Nice job.
Like that "ten smiles per hour" comment.
:)
How did you work out the front end geometry?
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 05:18:45 PM »
I guess you  could say I worked out the geometry by being a gear head for fifty odd years.  I built my first go-cart when I was 14 or 15, and learned how kingpin orientation affected performance by racing my creations.  Sometimes I found absolutely the wrong way to go, but once in a while I found things that worked together. Eventually I found things that seemed to meet my needs.  And I learned about scrub radius, king pin inclination, Heim joints, jacking effects and lots of other things....

The short story is that I layed out the pieces I was going to use on a piece of plywood, so I could find a combination that would meet all the needs of clearance and alignment.  (That was just about the only measured drawing for the whole project.) Then I built right and left handed jigs to get the a-arms and uprights symmetrical.   My first plan was to use elastomeric bushings for inner pivot bearings, to provide compliance,  and I hated the resulting imprecision during cornering.  So I did it again, using automotive tie rod ends for the inner bearings.  ( they were for a Hyundai, and I used them because they were the cheapest I could find, $3.75 each)   

I think I still have the Ackermann slightly wrong, but I'm thinking about putting hydraulic disc brakes on it, and that will require new uprights, so I'll correct it then.

Thanks for viewing and for asking.

I was lying about the ten smiles an hour.  I was smiling the whole time. It really is fun.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Jemen

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »
Hi !
Thanks for the video. I enjoy to watch it.
Nice build and it looks very cool.
Will be very nice with flames on.
Best wishes from Jemen.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:18:07 PM »
All I can say Dennis is "wow"

Nice work! A true ground up build. Very impressive and I second the thought of flames! Black with flames would be awesome!

Gary

Offline Kirk

• Confirmed
  • Its not bragging, if you can do it.
    • Cape Foulweather
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »
Here and I thought my trike was a nice build. That is just too cool fer school.
I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT, YOUR EGO, COUNTY  WIDE POWER OUTAGES, BLOWN PARTS, SPONTANEOUSLY GENERATED MINI (OR LARGER) BLACK HOLES, PLANETARY DISRUPTIONS, OR PERSONAL  INJURY THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OF ANYTHING I FIX OR SAY.

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:14:46 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.   I'm pretty pleased with how it is turning out.  I keep making changes .....I'm putting ATV  hydraulic disc brakes on it just now.

By the way, did you know someone vandalized your trike by putting a Marine Corp Flag on it?  :)

TTFN,
Dennis
ETCM(SS) USN Ret

Offline Kirk

• Confirmed
    • Cape Foulweather
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 05:22:02 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.   I'm pretty pleased with how it is turning out.  I keep making changes .....I'm putting ATV  hydraulic disc brakes on it just now.

By the way, did you know someone vandalized your trike by putting a Marine Corp Flag on it?  :)

TTFN,
Dennis
ETCM(SS) USN Ret

I've stayed with the Avid BB-7 brakes with G-3 Cleansweep rotors since 07. The distance from the brake levers to the calipers is so short that there is no reason to go with hydraulic brakes on the Catrike frame. Once a Cargo Monster gets attached http://www.t-cycle.com/CargoMonster.htm the balance should go from 60/40 to 50/50 and I'll put a 203 mm disc brake on the back wheel and it will be hydraulic because of the cable stretch over that distance. Either an Avid Juicy or perhaps a Magura. I've had very good performance racing and touring using the Avid calipers, so they are most likely to go on the Cargo Monster.Should make a real nice touring machine and it will accommodate a larger battery then my current 72V 48Ah batt. between the chain stays with the wheel moved back 18 in. 96V 62Ah should give plenty of range and torque for the Western Mountain grades like Lolo Pass, Cabbage Hill etc.
The flag does serve the purpose of keeping Squids from bothering the trike. Thanks for noticing.

Happy Trails
   Kirk
CPL(E-4) FMFPAC 1st Rcn Plt.
I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT, YOUR EGO, COUNTY  WIDE POWER OUTAGES, BLOWN PARTS, SPONTANEOUSLY GENERATED MINI (OR LARGER) BLACK HOLES, PLANETARY DISRUPTIONS, OR PERSONAL  INJURY THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OF ANYTHING I FIX OR SAY.

Offline Jemen

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
Hi Kirk!
Here is a real Cargo monster  :).
http://flevofan.ligfiets.net/?doc=ch4-05&lang=en
 Of course it is a Flevo  :)
Jemen out....

Offline Kirk

• Confirmed
    • Cape Foulweather
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
It looks like that guy in the second picture has himself a flat on the left rear. Boy what a load on that thing! Max for me will be 200 lbs. :-\

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
Since I'm an old fat guy, and my Morgen is heavier than I had hoped for, and I like really good brakes, I'm willing to pay the  small weight penalty that the ATV brakes incur.  My discs are about 4 times as thick as bike discs, so I can stop more than once. I was really disappointed by how bike discs perform.  I haven't tried your particular combination, however.  Maybe they are wonderful.....

TTFN,
Dennis