Author Topic: is the PRO 902 motor right for me?  (Read 5545 times)

Offline jcl17

• Confirmed
is the PRO 902 motor right for me?
« on: June 08, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
I am interested in the PRO 902 36V motor for my 36 km commute. The route is mostly flat with about 2km each way with any significant incline. I like that the 902 freewheels as I want to still pedal on my own, but having the option of assistance of a motor when I need it.

Though, I admit that once the motor is on that I will sometimes have the inclination to just use the motor. But I think I read on the forum that it is best to always pedal along with this motor to prolong the life of the gears.  Is this right? Is there any option to replace worn out gears?
I am 138lbs, and would like to occasionally pull a trailer short distances with up to 80lbs of extra weight.  Would this strain this motor?

I am leaning toward the 36V motor with the 36V 12ah battery for the purpose of pulling the occasional extra weight, but for most purposes I am looking for getting the most range I can.  So maybe the 24V motor with the 24V 20ah battery is best for me(?).  I am not sure if this is a logical assumption. What is the advantage of having the 36V over the 24V? I know they are both 250watt motors.

How water resistant is this kit for riding in light rain?

Cruise control is not necessary for me.  Can I opt to not use the included ebrake and instead only release the throttle to cut power?

I couldn't quite find it on the website--are 8 speed freewheels available from Golden Motor Canada?

I am curious about the release of the Mini Pie. I know that it doesn't freewheel, but if the pedaling resistance is like that of the BionX, I think I would be okay with that. When is the Mini Pie coming out? Maybe I can wait for it if it is a better option for my needs.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Kirk

• Confirmed
  • Its not bragging, if you can do it.
    • Cape Foulweather
Re: is the PRO 902 motor right for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »
From the sounds of it, you're going to be using this motor in a DF bike. This is the most unaerodynamic solution. You should probably look at the 48 Volt Magic Pie lll or the Pro 901 48 Volt 1000 Watt rear DD hub. If you can charge the battery at work, a 48 Volt 16 Ah LiPo or LiFePo4 battery should do the trick, as long as you're only using the trailer as a grocery getter and errand runner. As always YMMV.
I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO EQUIPMENT, YOUR EGO, COUNTY  WIDE POWER OUTAGES, BLOWN PARTS, SPONTANEOUSLY GENERATED MINI (OR LARGER) BLACK HOLES, PLANETARY DISRUPTIONS, OR PERSONAL  INJURY THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE USE OF ANYTHING I FIX OR SAY.