Author Topic: Magic Pie 2 with ext control and v3  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 2 with ext control and v3
« on: May 26, 2021, 09:41:48 PM »
I just bought a Magic Pie 2 with the external controller along with the cycle analyst v3. The v3 came with a 12 pole disc to act as a sensor trigger for the pas. Also the shunt was in the box. There are a huge amount of wires on the controller. Reading the instructions that came with the analyst it said to at least connect the throttle to the v3. The wires from one of the brakes was already plugged in the controller. Do I plug the other brake wire into the v3? Just what items get hooked up to the v3? Do I just ignore most of many wires coming off the controller?
I have hooked up  a couple bafang mid drive and a couple tongsheng mid drive and a bionx and one one geared bafang hub drive but find this set up to be quite confusing. The motor is a rear model and is going on the right side of a home made delta trike and will have no gears on it. The left wheel uses a jackshaft system to route power from the pedals.
So far I have the wheel mounted, the 12 pole magnet system and its sensor are also mounted. The analyst, throttle, brakes etc are loosely set on the handlebar. Can I just make some type of box or bag for the controller. Since it is finned I assume it needs to be in some type of airflow. And yes I have read the analyst instruction several times and plan to read and print as much info from the golden motor site as possible before going any further. One  small issue is the length of all the cables. I guess if the controller gets placed at the rear of the trike some of excess wire lengths can be managed. I will place a picture of the trike just to give an idea of the build. The rrof is removeable and is currently off.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie 2 with ext control and v3
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 09:50:53 PM »
Well after reading the instructions for maybe 8 times and printing any other info I could find I've managed to connect all the wires. Now to make some type of enclosure for the controller and trying to get all the wires bundled neatly.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 01:35:24 PM »
Almost ready to try. A coro box with some alum angle for stiffness has been added to the trike frame. I installed the external controller with the fins facing upwards. The battery was temporarily connected and all seemed well, the motor turned the wheel with the throttle. I'm putting an hour or 2 a day on this since I have other recumbents to ride and also other duties to attend to. So it's a slow process. By tomorrow enough parts will be installed so I can go through the instructions that came with the cycle analyst and ensure all the programming steps have been covered. Then off for a test ride.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 03:45:02 AM »
No luck getting this thing to work, Hopefully Monday when I phone Golden Motor someone will help me walk through the correct hook up procedure. Honestly if I had known it would be this complicated to set up I would never have bought it. I,ve installed a BBS02, a BBSHD, 3 Tongsheng mid drives and 1 Bafang geared hub and never had any problems.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 10:54:12 AM »
Hi Hugh,

It's strange that you have previously had the motor turning with the throttle but now it is not working.  :-\

I have never used a Cycle Analyst so I can't offer any further advice, except that the earlier version of the Cycle Analyst had to be modified slightly to work with my simple throttle restrictor on the early Magic Pies.
Check out this post for further details.

Hopefully it will be something very simple like an incorrect setting in the Cycle Analyst.

Alan

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 01:47:03 PM »
Actually the throttle does still power the wheel, put pedaling does nothing. The reason I got the cycle analyst was to enable the PAS system. I'm not looking for an electric motorcycle, I want to use my legs to help move this trike. I'm hoping its something simple, it would be nice to get this trike out on the road for a good test ride. Reading as much as possible there was one little nugget I will try today. There was mention of a safety protocol where to turn on the PAS system you must press the cruise button twice. It would be nice if that works.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 08:52:44 PM »
I opened a ticket and so far what I've heard is do you have the PAS programmed. My reply yes, as far as the grin booklet explained it. Also, do you have the speedometer hooked up? My answer is I never saw any procedures about hooking up a speedometer. So far still no PAS system.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2021, 01:32:41 PM »
My bad on the speedometer issue. There was a wheel magnet sent in the package but I did not install it, the cable on the analyst was a bit short for the trike. So after checking the ticket response and re reading the grin booklet I spliced in a couple feet of wire and now get a speed and odometer reading. Only problem left is the PAS issue. At this point I'm pretty sure it's due to a failure on my part by missing some important step. Hopefully it will get resolved with assistance from the good folks at Golden Motor.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 08:37:09 PM »
I received a link to a video showing a couple ways to connect the cycle analyst to my Magic Pie that were supposed to enable the PAS system. Followed the instructions and  No luck so far. Honestly just about ready to give up.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 05:18:21 PM »
I have now given up trying to get the PAS system to work. In all fairness the staff at Golden Motor did try to help but were unable to give any answers that got me up and running. The ticket system, well I see why they use it but I'm not a fan, it's slow. Being  an older guy with obviously limited knowledge I do better talking to an actual human.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 01:09:23 PM »
Thinking of trying something else to resolve this PAS problem. I will take pen and paper and go through the screens on the CA and write down all the values on all the screens then go over to Endless Sphere and see if anyone there might have some info. I've been a member there for years and they can be brutal but some of them know their stuff.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2021, 04:48:49 PM »
The Golden Motor "ticket" guys asked me to box up some of the pieces leaving them hooked up and to send them back to the company where they will attempt to resolve the PAS issue. They now feel it's a programming issue which prob means I,ve missed a step or steps. Either way they are and have been trying to help.

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 06:20:23 PM »
Regarding the controller it gets rather hot and this could reduce its life. When I enclosed it in a metal box , I sanded of the fins and planed it. Then I  used cooling paste  a copper plate and a Alu CPU cooler on the outside of the box( a smaller one from an early pentium processor) and just bolted it all together. I probably shaved of 20 C or more at top load.

Offline Hugh

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 02:25:52 PM »
I mounted the controller upside down in the coro box with the fins exposed to the air flow but have been thinking a sideways mount with the fins to the outside will be better. Less chance of a wire coming off and the box will still keep the wires out of any rain.

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 07:54:21 PM »
the fins är not enough I checked with an IR-temp  and the controller is running hot