Author Topic: Variable regerative braking on VEC200  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Rhare1

• Confirmed
Variable regerative braking on VEC200
« on: October 15, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
I'm using regenerative braking on a VEC200 controller driving a 3kw bldc motor. When the brake pedal nears the end of its travel it closes a switch that triggers the regenerative braking (RB) at the settings of voltage and current set in the braking parameters.

I want to make the braking effect variable so as the brake pedal is depressed, the braking rate becomes higher and higher. I've tried using the second brake lead as the wiper on a 5k pot running between the "+5v" pin and "gnd". The result was as the wiper moves, it comes to a point where braking is triggered and  it comes on at the parameter set rate, not varying at all!

Does anyone know how to make  RB variable?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Variable regerative braking on VEC200
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 08:39:10 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

Unfortunately, the VEC controllers do not seem to support variable regen.  :(

The second brake wire is only meant to receive a 12V supply from an existing 12V brake light circuit to trigger the regen instead of using a separate brake switch. ;)

It should be possible to use a suitable brushed motor controller in conjunction with a three phase rectifier and a variable resistor linked to the brake pedal to produce variable regen, but I haven't tried it.
Check out this thread on the Endless-Sphere forum to see what's involved.

Alan

Offline Rhare1

• Confirmed
Re: Variable regerative braking on VEC200
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 03:21:47 PM »
The VEC parameters for regenerative braking can be varied and have a huge effect. I'm looking inti having an onboard "arduino" connection adjust them as the brake pedal is applied through the USB port, but it could be messy and I'm  not sure if the parameters can be adjusted while the controller is active.