Author Topic: VEC 500 and 10KW Motor  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Gerhard

• Confirmed
VEC 500 and 10KW Motor
« on: October 12, 2020, 04:05:12 PM »
Hello!

I built a kart with the VEC 500 and the corresponding pedal. The pedal travel is approx. 4 cm. However, the path on which the controller reacts is only 0.8 cm. But I want to use the 0-5V on the 4 cm. how can I program this?

ich habe mit dem VEC 500 und dem dazugehörigem Pedal ein kart gebaut. Der Pedalweg ist ca. 4cm. Jedoch ist der Weg auf dem der controller reagiert nur 0,8 cm. Ich will aber die 0-5V auf den 4 cm ausnützen. wie kann ich das programmieren?

Gerhard

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: VEC 500 and 10KW Motor
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 05:40:21 PM »
Hi Gerhard andto the forum.

I suspect the problem you are experiencing could be because the controller controls the torque being produced by the motor rather than its actual rpm.
If you are testing the motor without any load on the drivetrain, the revs will build up very quickly with only slight throttle as the controller is unable to sense any torsional resistance being applied to the motor shaft.

If this is not the case, and you are testing it on a track, then you will have to measure the throttle voltage with the pedal release, and with it fully depressed and then set the throttle parameter settings to suit by altering  the throttle maximum and minimum valid voltage settings (typically the minimum valid voltage is ~1.2V and the maximum valid voltage is ~3.2V).

If you adjust those settings, you may also need to adjust the Throttle maximum allowed voltage and the Throttle upper voltage fault exit value settings to ensure they are both higher than your new maximum valid voltage. (The maximum allowed voltage should also be slightly higher than the upper voltage fault exit value   ;))

Alan

Offline Gerhard

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 09:20:06 AM »
Hello!

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately there is no description of the programming. Can you tell me the settings? At the moment it looks like the picture. Thanks for your help!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:56:44 AM »
Hi Gerhard,

I noticed that you are using v3.1.3(b14-0704) of the PI-800 programming software instead of the latest v3.3.0.b150501.
I would probably use the latest software, assuming it works OK with your earlier controller.

As you haven't mentioned what your maximum and minimum throttle signal output voltage is, I have based the settings on 1.0V and 4.25V for this example:
  • Throttle maximum allowed voltage (V):      4.4   
    (If this value is set too high it might not allow the throttle protection to cut in in the event of a broken throttle ground wire, and you could be stuck with full throttle)
  • Throttle upper voltage exit value (V):         4.3   
    (Must be lower than the above setting to ensure the throttle protection is reset when high signal voltage fault condition no longer exists)
  • Throttle lowest allowed voltage (V):           0.4  
    (Must be lower than the lowest expected throttle signal voltage, allowing a slight margin for any variation in voltage with the throttle released)
  • Throttle lower voltage fault exit value (V): 0.7  
    (Must be higher than the lowest expected throttle signal voltage to ensure the throttle protection is reset when low signal voltage fault condition no longer exists)
  • Throttle maximum valid voltage (V):          4.1  
    (Maximum power should be available at this point)
  • Throttle minimum valid voltage (V):           1.2  
    (Minimum power should start at this point, if set too low, a slight drop in the throttle signal output voltage could cause the motor to cut in with throttle released)
For maximum acceleration and deceleration you may need to enter 1200 (or the highest value it will accept) for both of the Accel and Decel parameter settings.
As I have never actually used one of these controllers myself, I'm not sure if the acceleration/deceleration settings will work as expected, but your current acceleration setting of just 100 rpm/second should theoretically take 45 seconds to reach 4500 rpm.  ::)

Alan

P.S. Holding the "Alt" key and then pressing the "Print Scrn" key will capture a screenshot of the currently selected window, which you can then paste into MS Paint (or other image editing software) to save it, and you can then upload a much better image.  ;)

Offline Gerhard

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 12:20:46 PM »
thanks again, I will test this. The acceleration is currently at 600. Is there a description for the controller somewhere? The reverse gear does not work either. Unfortunately, Golden Motors didn't offer me a solution. Is it correct, if I put ground on pin 9, that the motor should then turn backwards, or is something else necessary?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:17:11 PM »
Unfortunately there is nothing available from GM that explains the controller parameters.  :(

The Controller Guide is not very useful when it comes to setting the values for the controller parameters.

According to the above diagram, you need to connect pin 17 (Reverse) to pin 6 (Ground) to engage reverse.
Pin 9 appears to be unused.

Alan

Offline Gerhard

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
I meant pin 5 to ground. Only? I have this controller!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
According to the diagram you attached, connecting pin 5 to Ground should engage reverse.
Unfortunately, it sounds like a controller problem if it's not working.

It's also strange that they show pictures of that controller with the three connectors in the Controller Guide but only the pin allocations for the two connector controllers.  ::)

Alan