Author Topic: Motor overload protection  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Philippe

• Confirmed
Motor overload protection
« on: October 01, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
Hi,
I am about to rig up two  Golden Motor  3 KW BLDC  air cooled  motors on a vehicle of my design. Could anyone tell me how motor overload protection is achieved and whether I need to set up  a HD fuse upstream. Thanks.
philippe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Motor overload protection
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 02:10:44 PM »
Hi Philippe,

The controllers should take care of the motor protection as they should constantly monitor the current draw and the temperature of the motor, and there is also a stall protection feature that will cut the power if the motor is stalled for longer than the programmed time period.

Each of the controllers also has its own fuse connected directly to the battery supply terminal to protect the battery/wiring against overcurrent in the unlikely event of an internal short circuit within the controller itself.

Just make sure that you have the Motor blockage protection enable and the Motor overtemperature protection enable both set to 1:Enable on both controllers.

You will also need to make sure that the Battery drawn current limit (A) on each controller is set to 50% of your battery's maximum rated current output (unless you are using separate batteries for each controller).

Alan

Offline Philippe

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »
Thanks Alan,
Your answer suggests to me that I will have to program my controllers (VEC2 (40-48vdc).  On electronics I am quite a newbie as you can guess by my questions. How does one go about setting up controllers? What do I need? :)Thanks
Philippe

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
You will need a Windows PC or Laptop, the USB programming cable and the PI-800 programming software.

Check out Gary's Video for more details on how to connect to the controller.

Alan

Offline Philippe

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:13:25 PM »
Thanks, I will
Philippe :)