Author Topic: current settings for VEC300 controller  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Doctordollar3

• Confirmed
current settings for VEC300 controller
« on: August 28, 2020, 01:33:04 AM »
I am converting a racing kart to electric for a circle dirt track... I am wanting to know what a good base programming map would be for a 50A continuous/100A max 20ah 18650 lithium battery on the GM 5k BLDC water cooled motor with vec300 controller...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: current settings for VEC300 controller
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »
Hi Doctordollar3 andto the forum.

I would start by setting the Battery drawn current limit (A) to 50A, the Maximum phase current (A) to 310A and the Rated phase current (A) to 300A.

Then set the Boost enable to 1:Enable and set the Boost Mode to 1:Auto Mode and set the Boost Current (A) to 100A to match your battery's maximum current.

The Boost keeping time (S) may have to be lowered if your battery's BMS shuts down under sustained high current load, but it may also be possible to extend the boost time if the battery is capable of providing the extra current for longer bursts.

Set the Acceleration (rpm/s) and the Deceleration (rpm/s) to 1200 for maximum acceleration and deceleration.

Make sure that the Forword Speed ratio (%) is set to 100 for maximum speed, but you may want to decrease the Backword Speed ratio (%) (and possibly reduce the Reverse torque ratio (%) as well) to lower your maximum reverse speed (and torque) for safer reversing.

If you will be using the Regenerative braking and have EBS enable set to 1:Enable, make sure that you also set the Reverse charging voltage (V) and the Reverse charging current (A) to suit your battery's maximum charging voltage and current.

You might also find it advantageous to set the Enable EBS Auto-Mode to 1:Enable so that the regenerative braking cuts in as soon as you ease off on the throttle.

If your gearing is relatively high and you find that the motor cuts out while pulling away, try increasing the stall protection time (s) to see if it helps.

You might also want to consider adding a water cooling plate for the controller if it is running too hot.  ;)

Please let us know how the kart performs with these settings.

Alan

Offline Doctordollar3

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »
I will let you know how it does. Thank you Alan for your help.

Offline Doctordollar3

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:19:27 PM »
the kart ran great alan, thank you for your help. it had too much top end speed for my application so I am going to reduce my pinion gear by 2 teeth for now until I can increase my max and continuous amp discharge. will a 72v 100/50 amp 20ah lifepo4 battery double its discharge to 200/100 amp and 40ah longevity by running in parallel?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 10:51:25 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, it's good to know that the settings are working well for your particular application.

will a 72v 100/50 amp 20ah lifepo4 battery double its discharge to 200/100 amp and 40ah longevity by running in parallel?

Yes, two identical batteries connected in parallel will effectively double the peak and continuous current, but it won't increase the total runtime if you're pulling double the current. ;)

Make sure you always charge then to the same level each time you charge if you are going to charge them separately.
It's probably best to charge both batteries while they are still connected in parallel to avoid any mistakes involving different battery voltages that can occur when one of the batteries didn't charge because the charger wasn't plugged in properly.  ::)

Alan

Offline Doctordollar3

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 08:47:13 PM »
Can I plug a charger to each battery while still hooked up in parallel... or will the 5amp charge from each charger effectively make it charge at 10amps which the batteries only recommend a 5amp charge...?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:37:43 PM »
Yes, you can plug a charger to each battery while still hooked up in parallel as two identical batteries connected in parallel will also double the peak charging current capability of the combined batteries.

If a single 20Ah battery can be charged at a maximum of 5A, then two 20Ah batteries charging at a maximum of 5A each is no different to charging a single 40Ah battery capable of being charged at a maximum of 10A.
The charging time should be exactly the same using two chargers with the two batteries connected in parallel as it would be to charge two individual batteries simultaneously using a single charger for each battery.

It will not be a problem because the batteries are connected in parallel, therefore the two batteries will automatically share the total charging current equally (5A per battery).

Alan

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:49:10 PM by Bikemad »