Author Topic: Magic Pie III - information about cable connection  (Read 10383 times)

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
Magic Pie III - information about cable connection
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:53:02 PM »
Dear friends,

My name is Nelson Mathias from Brazil,.
I bought from GM Canada a Magic Pie 3.
I have a doubt and I request your help.

I did not have any problems connecting the cables with connectors.
But there's another cable and I don't know its usage. Its a cable with 4 wires (red, black, yellow and blue). Could you explain to me whats its purpose and how to install it?

I have seen that in the wheel's motor, besides the other cables, there's a cable that has the same wires as the one sad above. Should I connect these cable directly?
Or should the wires (red, black and yellow) without connector be connected to the lamp and horn?

I think I need an installation manual to explain the connection of the cable without connector. Does anyone have it?

Thanks for your attention and I look forward to receive your answer .

Nelson Mathias

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III - information about cable connection
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:06 PM »
Hi Nelson andto the forum.

I think I need an installation manual to explain the connection of the cable without connector. Does anyone have it?

I drew up the following diagram for this very reason, therefore the wires you are asking about are clearly shown and labelled to avoid any confusion:

Do not connect the four loose wires on the control and motor harnesses together as this could damage the controller! :o

Please also note that the yellow and red wires must only be connected to low current (<2Amps) horns/lights etc. which are able to use the same voltage as your battery (either 24V, 36V or 48V).

As you would expect, the red lighting feed wire is continually supplied with battery voltage while the lighting switch on the throttle is pressed in to the ON position, and the yellow horn wire is only supplied with battery voltage while the horn button is held pressed.

To operate the reverse function, a suitable switch should be connected to the blue and black wires on the loose cable coming from the motor harness. If a reverse switch is fitted, please make sure that it is turned OFF while attempting to program the controller with the USB interface lead.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:59:12 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 01:33:33 AM »
Dear Alan,
Thank you for your kindness.
Your information was very valuable.
Have a great day.

Nelson Mathias

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
Hi Alan,

I was just looking at this diagram. Did you or anyone else get the horn to function? I recall trying with the pre-release version of the MP3 with no Success.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »

Gary, I don't have a suitable horn to connect up so I've just double checked the circuit with a voltmeter and I'm definitely getting full battery voltage between the blue and yellow wires on the control harness when the horn button is pressed, so I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Alan

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »
i just hooked up a 48v horn with the yellow and blue wire and it works great using the horn button.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:49:29 PM by atcspaul »

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie III - information about capacitor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
Good afternoon, I think a capacitor burned my Magic Pie 3. I'm not seeing the values ??of the capacitor to replace. Please let me know the values. See photo. Thank you.

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:45:47 PM »
Does it have heatshrink, it looks like a coil?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
I think MP3FP is correct:

The symbol on the circuit board and the label "L1" is definitely for an inductor (coil or choke) and I'm guessing it's used to suppress electrical noise from the adjacent 12V switching regulator (which can just be seen directly above the inductor in the picture).

The markings visible on mine would seem to indicate a value of 1H (1 Henry, 1000mH or 1000000µH), but I cannot find anything remotely similar with that value.

I measured its resistance in circuit, and it appears to be ~3.3 Ohms.

Perhaps you can measure the resistance of yours, as it might indicate that the inductor's windings have failed if your measured resistance is completely different to mine.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:58:50 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Nelson Mathias

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 10:50:24 PM »
Dear Alan, the defect is not in part. Only a broken wire of the throttle lever.
Thank you.
Nelson Mathias