Author Topic: anyone help me with this note from tom...  (Read 10819 times)

Offline trumpetbum

anyone help me with this note from tom...
« on: May 16, 2010, 01:05:06 PM »
new GM setup..... having some problems... may have shorted out the controller, as I didnt notice a wire hanging down that got rubbbed by the tire and wore off the insulation... although it did drive after , for a while

tom says...

Hello rob h

The problem of 5 beeps is from the low voltage of battery and maybe the handle brake is broken.
Please check it.

...........also.. when I first set up the bike, the hand brake had to be fiddled with.. it was stopping the motor, on its own..       

thanks to any who have advice!

rob h

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: anyone help me with this note from tom...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:27:38 PM »
Rob, unfortunately I'm not so good with telepathy, so a bit more information is going to be required.

Which motor, controller and battery do you have?

Which wire rubbed against the tyre? Was it just a single wire or a multi wire cable?

Have you been aware of any sparks or smell of burning etc. which might indicate a short in the wires?

Has it just damaged the insulation, or has it worn through the copper strands too.

Are you able to check the battery voltage? (Assuming the battery gauge is connected, are all the LEDs lighting up correctly?).

Have you tried disconnecting the brake switch wiring from the controller to rule out any possible brake switch problems?

Please give as much information as you can (pictures can be very helpful too), because it's very difficult for us to try and diagnose a problem which we cannot see or experience first hand, like you can. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:36:43 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »
new GM setup..... having some problems... may have shorted out the controller, as I didnt notice a wire hanging down that got rubbbed by the tire and wore off the insulation... although it did drive after , for a while

What is your motor and controller?  A magic Pie or mini motor or HBS, magic controller?  

Did you short the controller out or the battery?

Which wires, the wires that come from the battery or go to the motor?

5 beeps must mean LVC or interrupted power to the drivers or something that indicates a standby mode like brake switch engaged.

Bring it on

Offline trumpetbum

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
sorry im pretty new at this... so here goes some more info....   

all leds light up

no burning smell

disconnected brake and no go

black wire and white wire from  throttle worn down to the wire

controller is the external one, that attaches below the rack

i have ordered a new controller.. will try that first, then see...

thanks all!

rob

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:09 PM »
sorry im pretty new at this... so here goes some more info....   

all leds light up

no burning smell

disconnected brake and no go

black wire and white wire from  throttle worn down to the wire

controller is the external one, that attaches below the rack

i have ordered a new controller.. will try that first, then see...

thanks all!

rob

Maybe the throttle shorted.  The black and white wire cross connection means you may need a new throttle. 

The black wire is ground and I think in your case the white wire is throttle hall sensor output, so it could mean it has shorted the throttle IC.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 10:52:38 PM »
So now test the volts between the black and white wire when you twist the throttle and tell us what you see.

You should see the volts go from very low voltage almost 0v to about 4v or more.

If you see no change buy a new throttle.

Be sure the white wire is the throttle output wire and black is earth too.  Between black wire and battery black terminal should read 0v.

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Checking the controller is still OK
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 12:08:59 PM »
Rob, I agree with Leslie and also think it is the hall sensor inside the throttle unit which has been damaged, rather than the controller itself.
You can easily check that the controller is still OK by unplugging the suspect throttle wiring and then using a piece of wire (a reshaped paper clip works well) to directly connect between "T1/5V" and "T2" on the controller.

This should make the motor run at full power, so make sure the wheel is off the ground and the power turned on before touching the wire across the two terminals.

The power must be turned on before the wire is used!

And don't forget to let us know how you get on. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:49:06 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 08:34:27 AM »
Yes to above as well.

Make sure your wheel is safely off the ground before joining T1 5v and T2.

If by chance you end up with two controllers all the better.  Test your new one and when it tests good put it in a draw and use it if you ever need it.

Having spare stuff is the secret of making something that can be impossible at times to just manageable.

Its annoying to have to repair anything.  Even more annoying waiting for a replacement.

Having a spare motor, throttle, and controller makes life soooo much better.

I cant afford much.

So I'll start with by purchasing three throttles.  :P  I will never run out too soon.

I am saving for some lithium and a Pie it has a inxternal controller.  Taking the price off the smaller items I buy as I save gives me less to have to purchase in the future.

So!

3 weeks from now. Maybe I buy a controller.  ???

Comming soon. I've saved for my pie and lithium now. I struggle and do some short cuts, scrounge a little more bucks for another hub.

Get them to throw a HBS48 1000 watt with my Pie and I have plenty to play with.

I still have a working HBS and controller.  SO I need some batteries.

I try a 48v 12ah pack and if I like, I work, I save, I scrounge, and in a quarter, I buy a second 12ah pack and sport 24ah of lithium love.

Bring it on

Offline trumpetbum

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 02:47:56 AM »
appreciate all your advice so far!     thanks!       still doesnt seem to work..

i will try to order a spare throttle, too.... then I can try both fixes out...

rob

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:14:54 AM »
So you got a new controller?

Bring it on

Offline trumpetbum

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 05:26:40 AM »
still waiting for the controller to come in

and... tom also was wondering if  the battery could be damaged.. would that be likely in this situation?  sure hope not

36v16Ah Lithium......

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 06:40:52 AM »
You said the throttle cable was worn out from friction and no other?

I am guessing your battery is fine.

You should wait for the new throttle before changing your controller.  Make sure there are no errors before installing the new controller.  Try to get the controller you already have installed working with the new throttle before trying the new controller.

Its the order of expense and operation I am concerned with.  You could change the old controller only to find it still doesnt work.

There is a test you can do to test the throttle and controller.

If you purchase a variable 50k resistor pot (below) and put it on your already broke throttle cable.  Some citation on the pot value by another member would be appreciated.

Unplug battery pack from controller.

Discard the broken twist throttle from the circuit, cut it off.

From the broken worn out wire still connected to the controller, Solder the red wire onto resistor pot pin 1.  Solder white wire onto pin 2 and the black wire onto resistor pot pin 3.  Pin numbers right to left, or left to right, it doesnt matter as long as the red and black are on the outside pins.

This should simulate the throttle fine and the 50k resistance should create enough resistance between the red and black and short the white and black when the resistor is low.

Just for testing this should be good enough.

Turn the pot all the way towards the black wire and switch the controller on holding the brake lever so the motor doesnt turn.  Release the brakes switch and if there uis no movement turn the pot towards the red wire, have the brakes ready so you can stop the motor quickly and easily.  Or make sure the wheel is off the ground.

Do all soldering with pack unpluged.

Never allow red and black to touch each other.

Test all voltages of between the red and black wire and anything over 5v is the wrong wire.  There is a red wire that is used as a battery indicator that has full pack voltage.  Beware of this.

If by chance the resistor pot works do not try to use it as your throttle unless you design it properly to spring back to zero throttle.  You may have an accident using such a resistor pot as your throttle.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:17:46 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Potentiometer value for throttle use
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 07:19:24 PM »

Leslie, I haven't tried a 50K pot, but 5K and 10K pots work fine.

The last ones I purchased on eBay were able to plug straight into the Pie's throttle connector, making them ideal for testing purposes.

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »

Sorry for the slow feedback.

This is an awesome idea,  there is no way I could of come up with this one because I cut all my plugs off.  ::)

Just maybe this might not be suitable because the op has in some form expressed his wires show signs of damage.

Otherwise this test is one for the book.

I think its time to recognise the efforts our seasoned moderator has put into this community.

Hey thanks Bikemad. You really have made a huge difference to these forums and I, and I am sure all the GM community appreciate the awesome enthusiasm you have put into helping all of us better understand the future of electronic transportation.

Cheers.  :D

Bring it on

Offline trumpetbum

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:25:46 PM »
ok... new throttle came in....     wiring harness doesnt match!! any suggestions??

arg