Author Topic: Another chopper with motor  (Read 14523 times)

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
Another chopper with motor
« on: October 02, 2007, 02:59:32 AM »
Here are a few pics of my latest hub motor installed.  It's a Giant Stiletto chopper bike.  I have made a battery holder specific for its frame and had a pair of mini torque arms made for the front fork.  Also, I was able to put all connections inside the fake gas tank.

Top speed on flat ground, no pedalling: 29 km/h (it's on a 20" rim and a ridiculously large tire).

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
Re: Another chopper with motor
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 03:17:30 AM »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 04:19:48 AM »
I'm not a chopper guy but that is oddly cool. Very appealing even for a non-chopper guy. What bike is the large tire normally meant to go on?

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 05:50:11 AM »
This bike is not actually mine; I just did the mod.  I'm more of a recumbent guy myself, but the e-chopper is an interesting concept.  Maybe an electric-recumbent-chopper... that would be the best of three worlds.  A modified seat Schwinn Spoiler Series would be better for me, as this Giant Stiletto does not allow proper leg extension for a tall rider.

These 3.0" tires are specific for bicycle choppers.  Unlike the ones used in Schwinn Stingrays, they fit in regular rims (I have laced the hub motor wheel with a new 36-hole rim; the original was 48-hole).  Not every frame/fork accept them, though.

myelectricbike, you asked for a picture of my recumbent in a previous thread, so here it goes attached.  This is my main ride (no motor on it yet).  It's a Zöhrer EXD (made in Brazil) with a Shockster add-on rear suspension.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 06:21:46 AM »
Thanks for the picture. I am still evaluating recumbent rides that might help relieve back pain. A shorter wheelbase version of the Japanese Slingshot etadpole is what I am currently preparing to build. A dual recumbent such as your just seems like it would be okay for long straightway but not very good in stop and go traffic or even in the suburbs - maybe so with training wheels but then the cops might pull me over for having too many wheels.  ::)

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 01:16:26 PM »
You mean the bottom bracket is a little high?  Indeed it is, although not as high as on a SWB or the now common high-racers. But this is something you get used to.  On recumbents you have to push hard on one of the pedals while your other foot is still on the ground, to give it a little momentum so you can move your foot from ground to the pedal.  With the aid of a motor, you can just use it for this initial push and take your time to place your feet on the pedals.

If you're concerned about bottom bracket height, I'd recommend an american classic: an Easy Racer's Tour Easy LWB.  It's long, low, fast (although not a racer), and has plenty of space for batteries.  A friend of mine has just built a clone of it and looks happy wth it (see the picture).

Another idea I've tried myself is a Cruzbike.  It's a front-wheel drive, moving bottom bracket (meaning the BB moves with the steering) recumbent retrofit for regular MTBs.  I have built a clone for testing purposes (picture attached), but could not get used to the pedal-steering effect.  But it's a great idea anyway, and the power assist would probably aleviate the pedal steering issue.  But you have to try for yourself.  Some people love it, some hate it.  You can contact the manufacturer of the original kit: www.cruzbike.com

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »
Maybe for a circus ride but not in stop and go traffic, or on sidewalks. I have enough trouble keeping my balance crossing bidges on a regular bike at low enough speeds to recover from sidewalk hazards, bridge rail encounters, 10" curbs, passing high speed panel trucks and tractor trailers, baby carriages, road hogs, etc. Think any recumbent I finally settle on will have at least three wheels unless I move to the country. However, I have yet to check out a recumbent unicycle or know if one has ever been built.  :o  ???  ::)  8)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:36:17 PM »
Thanks for the picture. I am still evaluating recumbent rides that might help relieve back pain. A shorter wheelbase version of the Japanese Slingshot etadpole is what I am currently preparing to build. A dual recumbent such as your just seems like it would be okay for long straightway but not very good in stop and go traffic or even in the suburbs - maybe so with training wheels but then the cops might pull me over for having too many wheels.  ::)

Maybe what you're looking for is a standard bike but with a little more relaxed body position, like the Dutch-style bike. The Dutch tend to build their bikes with steeper seat tube angles, which puts the crank (and the feet) farther forward of the hips. The head tube is also at a steeper angle than you usually see stateside, and has swept back handlebars which allows a more upright body position. The seats tend to be bigger & cushier as well. The whole package makes a much more comfortable ride, more akin to walking, which is far easier on the back than the typical mountain bike you find in the US.

With a few carefully chosen parts you can modify most any bike to simulate that riding position; a seat post that makes a bend backward, like on Mordaz's front-drive recumbent, a shorter handlebar stem, and swept back handlebars. I did that with my wife's bike a few years back; it was my daily rider for many years, but she didn't like the near-prone racing mountain bike position, so I did it up quite nicely. I actually like riding her bike better than my own. Very comfy! The one place the Dutch style doesn't shine is on hills (the Netherlands are flat as a pool table!); but the electric hub motor is the Great Hill Leveler, so you might as well be comfortable.

The photo below I nabbed from the Gazelle website; they are the preeminent bike builder in the Netherlands.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 11:21:33 PM »
Here's what I'm looking at building... you want comfy, geez... the biggest road hazard will probably be falling asleep.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:01:28 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 02:01:30 AM »
If balance is your concern, you should definitely go for three wheels.  But this tadpole trike you're planing on building is unusually long!  I don't think it should be stable when cornering.  What's your objection to the traditional approach to tadpole trikes? 

Pls see attached a couple of pictures of a Brazilian-made tadpole trike with a CrMo frame (www.hp3trikes.com.br).

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 02:54:40 AM »
If you're looking for details on building a tadpole, check out the ihpva.org website; they have very complete plans for the Thunderbolt recumbent tadpole there; even details on converting standard hubs to use with stub axles.

http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalInnovations/index.html

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 03:31:08 AM »

...this tadpole trike you're planing on building is unusually long! ...

... A shorter wheelbase version of the Japanese Slingshot etadpole is what I am currently preparing to build.

... What's your objection to the traditional approach to tadpole trikes? 

Pls see attached a couple of pictures of a Brazilian-made tadpole trike with a CrMo frame (www.hp3trikes.com.br).

I do not necessarily have an objection but rather a preference for what appears may be a more comfortable long haul ride. Even without shortening the wheelbase to match a traditional tadpole design it appears the Slingshot would handle an open highway group ride from Seattle to DC with far less strain on the operator than a traditional tadpole might provide.

As far as traditional tadpole design goes I'm still looking for a self stabilizing tilt, which I have as yet to find, unless it turns out that I can find or develop a mechanism that provides optimal (self adjusting) Castor angle to maintain self stabilizing tilt for all degrees of turn. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 03:53:16 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 03:41:58 AM »
If you're looking for details on building a tadpole, check out the ihpva.org website; they have very complete plans for the Thunderbolt recumbent tadpole there; even details on converting standard hubs to use with stub axles.

http://www.ihpva.org/com/PracticalInnovations/index.html

The Horwitz Thunderbolt is a great first time homebuild project with many low cost and innovative ideas for the home builder to work with and I do plan to incorporate whatever innovations I can find and use since that is in essence what all of my projects will be. I am definitely not in favor of mechanisms which can not be easily duplicated in the home workshop or adapted using easily obtainable store bought parts.   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:10:00 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 04:48:13 AM »
MEB Have you tried riding a Slingshot? It looks to me that the seating position is so laid back that it would be difficult to hold your head up with your chin on your chest.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 06:19:56 AM »
Here's what I'm looking at building ...the biggest road hazard will ...be falling asleep.

;D zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:02:07 AM by myelectricbike »