Author Topic: Reversing A Hub Motor?  (Read 8030 times)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Reversing A Hub Motor?
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:23:15 AM »
On a brushed electric motor, putting the motor into reverse is as simple as reversing the polarity of the input power to the motor. With a brushless motor, it's obviously not that simple. Are there any easy ways to accomplish reverse with one of Golden's brushless hub motors?

In case anyone is wondering, no, I don't want to do reverse on a bicycle; that would obviously be a bad idea! ;) I'm just thinking a little further down the road to possibly using the motor on an e-tadpole.

Thanks!

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Reversing A Hub Motor?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:18:59 AM »
The regen controller offers reverse. The method it uses is simply to reverse the phase sequence. Since both the standard and the regen controllers control the phase sequence via a microcode program through an onboard microcontroller you would need the ability to reprogram the standard controller microcode which is not a feature of Golden controllers. Alternately you could build your own controller using a commutation chip, mosfets, etc. or possibly use an adaptive regen controller sold by another manufacturer. Be sure to include an audible backup warning signal (don't want to be running over any pedestrians), backup lights for night time backing, mirrors to see obstacles that have moved up behind you or are to the side if you want to turn and a loud horn, for those times when the guy in the RV behind you is still busy talking to his broker on the old cell phone.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 10:05:34 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:55:16 AM »
I think all you would need to do would be to reverse the two power connections between the controller and the motor (the third wire is a common). I have read of a person who hooked these two up backwards and the motor ran backwards. Of course he couldn't ride it in this condition so I don't know if it had the same power capability, just that it rotated backwards.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 01:10:01 AM by Dalecv »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:56:26 AM »
I think all you would need to do would be to reverse the two power connections between the controller and the motor (the third wire is a common). I have read of a person who hooked these two up backwards and the motor ran backwards. Of course he couldn't ride it in this condition so I don't know if it had the same power capability, just that it rotated backwards.

In the sense that the center wire does not have to be moved because it is in the center is true but you also have to switch the sensor leads with a brushless Hall effect commutated controller. You can't just switch the phase power leads. A 2 position 2 pole +5 volt 50 ma and a 2 position 2 pole 75 volt 30 amp switch would be needed and you might not be able to switch then except with the power turned off.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 05:21:27 AM by myelectricbike »