Author Topic: Ordering a Rear Wheel Kit?  (Read 11713 times)

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
Ordering a Rear Wheel Kit?
« on: August 08, 2007, 12:55:28 PM »
I finally have the funds and the CFO's ok to purchase a kit, but I'm wanting the rear wheel unit. Nowhere on the page do I see any way to specify the rear instead of the front. Am I missing something? Or is a followup email to sales@goldenmotor.com the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Ordering a Rear Wheel Kit?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 03:40:58 PM »
In what country do you live?

Offline zettie

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 03:52:19 PM »
I have the same problem. I want to order a Rear Wheel Kit. I live in Germany.

Thanks

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 04:13:52 PM »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 05:49:25 PM »
Because the US is fortunate to have at least one distributor, shipping costs are less for US customers because the savings provided by container shipping of large orders can be passed on. Unfortunately, it appears that the US distributor is waiting on a container shipment and is currently out of rear kits and.

This leaves one option for both US customers and customers where there are no distributors who can pass on the reduced cost of containerized shipping of large orders.

If a customer is willing to pay around $150 for shipping then an individual rear kit can be sent directly from China and received within one or two weeks.

If the cost of shipping is not as much of an issue as how long it will take to receive a kit and you do not receive an immediate response from sales@goldenmotor.com then you may request a cost of shipping quote to wherever you live by simply sending an email to me at ebike@verizon.net
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:24:58 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 07:03:20 PM »
Because the US is fortunate to have at least one distributor, shipping costs are less for US customers because the savings provided by container shipping of large orders can be passed on. Unfortunately, it appears that the US distributor is waiting on a container shipment and is currently out of rear kits and.

This leaves one option for both US customers and customers where there are no distributors who can pass on the reduced cost of containerized shipping of large orders.

If a customer is willing to pay around $150 for shipping then an individual rear kit can be sent directly from China and received within one or two weeks.

If the cost of shipping is not as much of an issue as how long it will take to receive a kit and you do not receive an immediate response from sales then you may request a cost of shipping quote to wherever you live by simply sending an email to me at ebike@verizon.net

So, who is behind the ebike@verizon.net address? I got an email out of the blue from Patrick at that address, and I'm not sure if he sent it in response to this thread or what. It seems a little unorthodox to do business through a verizon.net email address. I'd be very hesitant to throw any money that direction without knowing a LOT more first.

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:12:32 PM »
ebike@verizon is one of about 3 known US distributors of goldenmotor kits.  Dray (southern California, http://ampedbikes.com), myelectricbike (ebike@verizon.net), and Raul (northern California?).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:01:25 PM by OneEye »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:17 PM »
For chains like Wal-Mart and Target it would indeed be a surprise to receive an email with a verizon.net domain. Yet I know of no General Motors car dealers with a gm.com domain.

Another thing is that this site was created for the purpose of allowing Golden Motor kit owners to correspond and to interact and was not created for the purpose of conducting sales or answering sales inquires who's answers might be potentially binding.

That said, use of email to correspond regarding sales inquiries is the accepted method. When Philip is busy and can not respond to every inquiry resellers try to step up by responding with an email.

Again, if you are looking for a legally binding response to a question then this forum is not the right place to post that question but rather to sales@goldenmotor.com, gm@perfecteam.com, ebike@verizon.net or to that other guy at, you guessed it rghaak@aol.com, but only if you live in Californ-i-a.  ;D

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:32:03 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 03:03:26 AM »
For chains like Wal-Mart and Target it would indeed be a surprise to receive an email with a verizon.net domain. Yet I know of no General Motors car dealers with a gm.com domain.

True, but no self-respecting GM dealer would do business with an aol.com email address either.  ;) Domain names are cheap, as is hosting service.

Another thing is that this site was created for the purpose of allowing Golden Motor kit owners to correspond and to interact and was not created for the purpose of conducting sales or answering sales inquires who's answers might be potentially binding.

That said, use of email to correspond regarding sales inquiries is the accepted method. When Philip is busy and can not respond to every inquiry resellers try to step up by responding with an email.

Again, if you are looking for a legally binding response to a question then this forum is not the right place to post that question but rather to sales@goldenmotor.com, ebike@verizon.net or to that other guy, but only if you live in Californ-i-a.  ;D

I've tried the sales@goldenmotor.com a number of times and have seen one response from Philip (with an incomplete answer to my question). I asked the question here because there are people on this board that have successfully purchased kits, and this seemed to be the place to get a voice of experience if nothing else. As for legally binding responses, no; just advice from those who have been down the purchasing road already.

I had not made the connection between the ebike@verizon.net address and the myelectricbike forum handle until just now. I mean no offense in questioning your background, I just had no idea who you were. You can't expect people to hand over several hundred dollars on the basis of an email that seemingly comes out of the blue, and bears no obvious connection to this forum nor Golden Motor.

Again, I mean no offense, and I hope none is taken; I've just been burned one too many times, and am careful about where my money goes.  :)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 07:16:05 AM »
It’s quite possible that demand in China for kits has exceeded supply to the extent of Golden needing to triage. I’ve been at a private airport that had only a few planes and before I could even open my mouth a guy across the counter exclaimed that he was a doctor; implying that his need for a plane was greater than mine. Needless to say it did not matter that I was only there to pick up a package from behind the counter. Maybe you could write Philip a nice email explaining your greater need for a kit than his fellow country men in the heart of the P.R. of China and that the missiles there in South Dakota are not really aimed at them. Maybe that would encourage him to send you a nice email telling you everything you wanted to know. No offense.

Offline Dave

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
    • davintosh
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 05:11:05 PM »
It’s quite possible that demand in China for kits has exceeded supply to the extent of Golden needing to triage. I’ve been at a private airport that had only a few planes and before I could even open my mouth a guy across the counter exclaimed that he was a doctor; implying that his need for a plane was greater than mine. Needless to say it did not matter that I was only there to pick up a package from behind the counter. Maybe you could write Philip a nice email explaining your greater need for a kit than his fellow country men in the heart of the P.R. of China and that the missiles there in South Dakota are not really aimed at them. Maybe that would encourage him to send you a nice email telling you everything you wanted to know. No offense.

There was a time when it could be said that if North & South Dakota seceded from the US, they would possess the most powerful nuclear arsenal in the world. That time, however, has passed. Nearly all (or all?) of the missile silos have been decommissioned and filled or imploded. The world can rest easy knowing that most of the unaccounted for nuclear weapons are somewhere in the remnants of the former Soviet Union.

I did place an order through the website yesterday, then emailed sales@ inquiring about the rear wheel kit. Philip emailed me this morning telling me the kit will ship after PayPal clears. I guess that at least answers my original question on how to get the rear wheel kit instead of the front; just email them & ask.

I was a little concerned to learn that the dropout spacing for the motorized rear wheel is so much wider than standard; that's a piece of information that should be made more readily known to potential buyers. Thanks to Patrick for the heads-up on that. The bike I plan to use the kit on is an older Pro-Flex mountain bike that has an aluminum frame with a steel rear triangle. I've done spacing adjustments in the past, but if Patrick's info is correct, stretching my Pro-Flex dropouts from the current 135mm to a 160mm dropout spacing may be a bit much for me, so I'll probably enlist a buddy who owns a bike shop and the proper tools for such a project. But first I need to see if it's truly 160mm or if there are ways to narrow that. For those unfamiliar with adjusting frame spacing and alignment, Sheldon Brown has some excellent info at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

It's too bad that everything about buying one of these motors has to be such a mystery. Way too much guesswork in this whole process. I guess that's part of the adventure of being an early adopter; we could go with the Crystalites of the world, but where is the fun in that? ;) And besides, I'm too cheap to pay what they're asking for these things!

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 05:31:46 PM »
My understanding is that the only reason the number of nukes in SD were reduced is because all of the warheads were put on submarines manned by former SDians so that if SD seceded and mutinied now they would also possess the largest submarine fleet in the world with the greatest number of nukes pointed at the P.R. of China.

Before coldsetting the rear triangle on a new NEXT MTB I ask Sheldon what he thought about coldsetting a 30mm difference and his reply was that the limit was 10mm - 5 mm per side. He goes on to explain in his article that the reason for this limit is the resulting non-parallel angle of the dropouts and probable misalignment from true centerline following. I still have the rear wheel kit (although I gave the MTB away) to use in the construction of an etadpole which is a superior platform for a rear wheel kit, in my opinion.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 12:57:39 AM by myelectricbike »