Author Topic: EL Guapo's 20" Speed Testing results  (Read 7165 times)

friggerand

EL Guapo's 20" Speed Testing results
« on: August 04, 2007, 04:45:01 PM »
I just got back from my speed testing.

The bike is a Giant Stiletto ("EL Guapo"),
20" front wheel kit,
36V, 190lb rider,
30.9 degrees celsius and sunny,
fairly strong wind at times
No pedalling.

Over a 12 km trip, I averaged 27.2km/h. I hit a speed of 35.9km/h and it seemed content to cruise at 33-34km/h.
Later on when going down a pretty decent hill, I hit 42.2km/h but that was mostly due to the hill more than motor power I think.
But the actual flatish ground speed going into a moderate wind netted me 35.9kph.
I think on a day with no wind or some wind at my back, on that same flat straightaway by my house, I could get it into the 37-38ish mark.
It climbed a fairly decent hill (one I have to gear down a normal bike a few times to climb) with a speed that never dipped below 29.2kph.
The torque and acceleration are good... I even had some jerk bitch at me asking me where my license was and that I couldn't use it on the street, blah, blah, I got off my bike, told him to mind his own f'ing business and then he sped off in his ugly brown altima 8) .

All told, a good testing run.

Feel free to share some of your own data, I for one was very happy to see that 0-36kph was not a lie, especially since if I thought it was true, that it would only be true for a 26" wheel, but I'm pushing 36 on a 20" wheel, wow.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:20:13 PM by friggerand »

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
Re: EL Guapo's 20" Speed Testing results
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 02:26:03 AM »
Hi friggerand,

I have a 20" front wheel too, but it's a recumbent delta trike, not a bike.  Are you using that huge 20x3.0 tire that came with the Stiletto?  That tire adds quite a bit to the overall wheel diameter.  That's probably why you're getting a higher max speed. 

I use a 20x1.75 slick tire on the trike.  With no pedalling, I hit about 27 km/h, which is pretty much what I expected.

I almost bought a Stiletto, but admitedly for its looks mostly.  It weights twice as much as my main alu recumbent, and I got used to have the full back support of the recumbent seat.  But it's perfect for an electric bike.  I didn't buy one, but talked a friend (who thinks recumbents are kinda weird!) into it, and now I have this Stiletto here just waiting to be converted.

Pls give more details about your conversion, like tire and rim used, battery type/capacity, range, etc.

Roberto

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: EL Guapo's 20" Speed Testing results
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 05:03:05 AM »
How about some pics of both your Stiletto and especially of your recumbent...