Author Topic: About to buy one... got a few questions.  (Read 7682 times)

Offline Lord Manimal

About to buy one... got a few questions.
« on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:47 PM »
I am about to buy the kit from the website, and I had a few questions, if you guys would be so kind as to help me out.

Firstly, I am installing it onto a solid steel frame Trike. I realize that 500W isn't enough to power it from a dead stop, but how well do you think it'll do? I'm a 6'2" 200lb fella, and I'm guessing that the bike itself is around 60lbs, give or take 20.

If the 500W motor won't be strong enough, can I upgrade it via their website to a larger one? If so, does the price go up hugely?

I see that this is a 36V system. Does that mean 3 12 volt batteries in parallel for added current? Or 3 12 volt batteries in series, thereby pushing 36 volts to the controller?

Since I'm installing on a trike, would I be better off going for large amp hour batties that weigh considerably more? I.E. getting 3 12 volt 50 amp/hour batteries to mount behind the seat in an enclosed box?

Thank you guys for your time!!!

Offline ort5

Re: About to buy one... got a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 07:44:28 PM »
What is your wheel size?  The smaller the better for effective torque to the ground.   

To get 36V with 12V batteries, you'll need to put 3 in series.   This will make a 36V battery pack with the Ah capacity of the 12V batteries.  ie. three 12V 8Ah in series will yield 36V and 8Ah.   You can then put an additional 36V 8Ah battery pack in parallel with the first to get a 36V 16Ah battery pack. 

Current rate capacity increases with an increase in the Ah rating.

Offline Lord Manimal

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »
They're 24x1.75 wheels, to answer your question.

So does your response indicate that I shouldn't have more than 16 amp/hours running, or was that simply a demonstration of the difference between series and parallel wirings for the batteries? Does more amp/hours = more better? ;-)

Offline ort5

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:11:54 PM »
I did not mean to imply that you will need 16Ah of capacity.   I was simply trying to explain how putting batteries in series/parallel works. 

More Ah does mean more better :)     The only drawbacks are size, weight and cost.   The benefits are increased runtime, increased current capacity and bragging rights.

A 24" wheel should do just fine with 500W of power I suspect.  Starting torque may be low for such a heavy load, but if you pedal a bit it should take off nicely.

Dave

Offline Lord Manimal

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 02:38:23 PM »
Rockin like Dokken. Many thanks for your replies! I figure the furthest I have to travel is about 12 miles either direction, so I'm going to play it safe and go with the much larger 50+ amp hour series. Pricing out options right now.