Author Topic: MY MOTOR IS RUNNING INTERMITTENT  (Read 8726 times)

Offline Electric_Bike_2007

MY MOTOR IS RUNNING INTERMITTENT
« on: July 29, 2007, 12:15:11 AM »
Hello all!  :D
My kit arrived yesterday. Today I instaled in the bike... very nice.   
 I am using 3 batteries 12v and 7ah.(36v)   
 I started a test today.. The motor is strong and fast... the only issue that I did not understand is: 
 I accelerate the bike... after 10 seconds the motor  turn off...  wait 3 seconds... the motor works again for more 10 seconds..... and it turn off... wait 3 seconds... start again.    Is it normal? :(  why the controller is turning off the motor?  too much current?   
Please, help!    (i want to run the bike continuously...)   
Thank you very much!!

Regards

Luciano-Brazil.

(i have  an electric home made vehicle too...  http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/666.html)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: MY MOTOR IS RUNNING INTERMITTENT
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 02:44:07 AM »
The controller range appears to bottom out around 31 volts and will do so if your battery pack has a weak cell and the pack voltage drops below 31 volts for even half a second. Sounds like a weak cell to me. Check it with a meter.

Offline Mordaz

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 05:10:25 AM »
Hi Luciano,

Nice to see another Brazilian here; I'm no longer the only one.

I have installed my hub motor on the 20" front wheel of a tricycle.  I'm using three 12V 9Ah batteries (same dimensions as the more usual 7Ah's).  Check it out:   http://br.groups.yahoo.com/group/vphbrasil/  (sign-up and go to the photos section).

I agree with myelectricbike; you probably have a bad cell.  You should try checking the voltage with a meter, preferably an analog one.  Go easy on the throttle.  Try not accelerating much and see if you can keep the motor running slowly for more than only 10 seconds.  I experience the same cutoff, but only after running for about 25 km or so (with a few steep hills in the path).  Even then, I can still run a few more km just backing off the throttle a little.  You can also try accelerating with the wheel off the ground.  Anyway, check the total voltage drop and the individual batteries'.  The one with a bad cell will drop significantly more than the others.

[]s
Roberto

Offline foggy

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 09:16:59 PM »
I have a similar problem: I' ve used the bike for about 5 km and it worked perfectly then it stopped to work( I thought the batteries were empty). Now, when I use the throttle it works for 1 second and no more( and not always: sometimes it doesn' t work).

Is it possible it is for an electric contact( I don' t know the exact word in English...I hope it' s possible to understand).

Thank you
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 10:47:53 PM by foggy »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »
Check all of your connectors very well. Be sure no pins are bent, especially in the 9 pin connector (only 8 pins are connected). If that's not it then check your sensors according to previous instructions posted elsewhere in the forum. Be sure your phase power connectors and leads have no shorts or opens as well.

Offline foggy

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 05:46:16 PM »
Thank you for the reply.
I' ve seen connectors and look good. Anyway I' d not much time so I' ve seen it quite quickly. As soon as it' s possible I' ll check better