Author Topic: Motorcycle Conversion : Hand Throttle  (Read 1623 times)

Offline StevenB

• Confirmed
Motorcycle Conversion : Hand Throttle
« on: March 14, 2023, 02:27:36 PM »
Good day All,
I am a newby from Cape Town South Africa. I have installed a 10kW BLDC motor into a Yamaha R1 frame with 48V Lipo batteries.
All is going well except my hand twist throttle.

At half twist the throttle is in neutral, if I rotate upwards the rear wheel turns forward.
If I rotate downwards the rear wheel rotates in reverse.

Where do I correct the twist grip throttle to act as a normal petrol twist grip, ie turn down and accelerate forwards.
I do not need reverse.

many thanx

Steven B.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Motorcycle Conversion : Hand Throttle
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 11:44:51 PM »
Hi Steven andto the forum.

Unfortunately, it looks like your controller is currently programmed for a boat style throttle, which is not very helpful for a motorcycle.

You will need the USB programming cable and the PI-800 programming software to change the Throttle mode selection setting from 0:Hyperbola to 1:Linear.
If that doesn't fix the problem, try changing the Speed throttle type setting from 0:Hall effect throttle to 1:Potentiometer throttle (or vice versa).

The correct combination of the above settings should make your throttle respond as expected.

If the motor's default "clockwise" direction of rotation needs to be reversed to suit your particular application, check out this post explaining which wires will need to be transposed.

If you do change the default direction of rotation, I recommend that you modify the Hall Sensor wires on the controller side of the connector so that both connectors on the motor remain unchanged and can still be used without causing problems if swapped at a later date.

Alan

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 11:26:09 AM by Bikemad »