Author Topic: Bafang BBS02 B with seized nylon gear on steel pinion  (Read 2876 times)

Offline Attila

• Confirmed
Bafang BBS02 B with seized nylon gear on steel pinion
« on: October 01, 2022, 11:38:51 PM »
Bafang BBS02 B

Has anyone stuggled to remove the nylon gear off the pinion?

I have already had to destroy the pinion bearing that had seized to the pinion and came out of the cover plate where it is usually housed. I now will likely need to destroy the nylon gear to get it out. The bearings inside the gear don't spin so the nylon gear is fixed to the pinion and needs to be replaced. I am pretty sure it's supposed to turn in one direction and not in the other. Ripping it out is going to be hard (Dremel tool, drill, prying, lots of tears I suspect).

If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove it I would love to hear them.

There gear and pinion are still in the frame because there is no way to remove the steel pinion from the other side.

Thanks.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Bafang BBS02 B with seized nylon gear on steel pinion
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 10:46:59 AM »
Hi Attila andto the forum.

The Bafang mid drive motors are not produced/manufactured by Golden Motor, and I have no personal experience with them, therefore it is difficult to give any advice other than suggesting that you either contact the seller directly (if it is still under warranty) or try asking on the Endless-Sphere forum for further information and assistance with the repair.

Above is a picture showing the various components of a Bafang mid drive motor assembly, which might be useful.

Alan

P.S. I found this disassembly video and this common fault video which should also help.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 11:10:28 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Attila

• Confirmed
Re: Bafang BBS02 B with seized nylon gear on steel pinion
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2022, 02:28:19 PM »
Thanks for this.

In terms of maintenance; have you ever put grease or oil on the pinion gear shaft or the inside of the nylon gear? I don't want it to seize again but I don't know what sort of lubricant I should use if any.

Cheers
Attila