Author Topic: Disable beep on VEC 500  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Pontus

• Confirmed
    • Grinde 19
Disable beep on VEC 500
« on: September 22, 2022, 06:25:55 AM »
When I but the motor brake mode, in order to generate electricity when sailing, the controller beeps 15 times in a continuous loop to indicate brake is applied.

How do I turn this beep of? You can imagine it's quite inconvenient listening to the bee on a overnight sail, not to mention a multi day passage.
Follow along my electric conversion of a 4 ton Danish sail boat. Grinde 19

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disable beep on VEC 500
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2022, 12:44:34 PM »
I am not aware of any software settings for disabling the beeper on the VEC controllers, therefore I don't think there will be a simple way of stopping the beeping during regen.  :(

Dismantling the controller and physically disconnecting the beeper unit may be the only way to stop it completely, but it may be possible to block its sound outlet hole to greatly reduce the sound level.  However, dismantling the controller might invalidate any remaining warranty.  :-\

It would not be an issue if the controller had been programmed to only emit the 15 beep brake warning code when the throttle and the brakes were both activated simultaneously, then it would only beep if you still had the throttle applied during regen or if you inadvertently tried to power the motor without realising that regen was still engaged.

Alan