Author Topic: Problem with a BLDC 5000 motor, VEC300 controller and TRC-010 throttle  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Teppinger

• Confirmed
Hi, I have a problem with a bldc 5000, VEC300, TLC010 throttle, as an inboard engine in an old swedish boat. It Was running great läßt year. Now out of Winter storage it doesnt move. The VEC blinking 5 x points to a hall sensor Problem. Measuring the hall sensor Red line Shows 9V instead of 5,and Measuring the lines coming from the Sensors Show the correct alteranting 0 and 5 V readings for yellow and green but a non alteranting 7,3V for the blue line. So my question are: 1.Is this a definitiv Problem of the blue hall sensor. 2. Could this also be a problem in the VEC 300 and 3. Or could it be a problem with the throttle?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problem with a BLDC 5000 motor, VEC300 controller and TRC-010 throttle
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:50:27 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

It sounds like you definitely have a problem with the Blue Hall Sensor signal voltage as it is not switching between High and Low, but I'm puzzled as to why it is reading more than 7 volts.

I would unplug the Hall Sensor connection and measure the signal voltages on the controller connector to see if the Yellow and Green signal voltages are the same as the Blue (above 7 volts).
If the Blue signal voltage is the only one above 7 volts, it could indicate a problem within the controller.
However, if all three are above 7 volts when unplugged, I suspect that the voltage is simply staying too high because of a failed Hall Sensor inside the motor (or possibly a break in the wire, or a poor soldered/crimped connection somewhere on the Blue Hall Sensor wire on the motor side of the connector).

If you use a sharp pin/needle to puncture the insulation and measure the voltage on the Blue Hall Sensor wire just after the crimped connector on the motor side this would indicate a poor/broken connection inside the crimped terminal if the voltage was considerably different when measured on the wire itself instead of the crimped connector contact.

Measuring the throttle signal voltage would also indicate that the throttle is working correctly if the throttle signal voltage stays within the expected voltage range when the throttle is moved between the Maximum Forward and Maximum Reverse position.

Alan

« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 09:41:33 AM by spellchecker »