Author Topic: Black Magic repeatedly shuts down after a short distance.  (Read 2896 times)

Offline Dmoore

• Confirmed
Black Magic repeatedly shuts down after a short distance.
« on: August 29, 2022, 12:38:27 AM »
When riding the trike the motor will go for a little bit (30 secs up to maybe 2 minutes), then will cut out completely.  The lights on the throttle all go off and no response from the motor.  Turning the battery off and back on will temporarily resolve it.  Seems to be triggered when going uphill or when depressing the throttle more than halfway.

When pressing the button on the battery the four lights are:  Green, Green, half Red/half Green, Red.

My set up:

Black Magic (1000 Watts) - Front wheel 20 inch and thumb throttle on a side-by-side Workman trike.

48v 13ah battery.

I have the programming cable but have not altered any settings on the controller.

Sounds similar to this topic but I cannot confirm:

https://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=6237.msg34774

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 01:52:31 AM by Dmoore »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Black Magic repeatedly shuts down after a short distance.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 03:50:23 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

From your description, I would say the battery's BMS is either faulty or simply unable to supply sufficient continuous current to run this motor at maximum power.
Do you have the specifications for your particular battery?

If the battery is unable to supply 25-30 Amps continuous, the battery's BMS will probably be shutting off the power to protect the battery from excessive current draw.

If your battery is only suitable for 1000 Watt motors, you would need to reduce the maximum current setting in the controller to 20 Amps (or less) to prevent the BMS from cutting the power at full throttle.

Although the Black Magic is only rated as a 1000W motor, it will draw much more power than this under continuous heavy load at full throttle.
Therefore, if you want to use the maximum power available from this motor, you would need to replace the battery with one that can cope with at least 1500 Watts of continuous power output (30 Amps).

Alan

Offline Dmoore

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2022, 01:39:35 AM »
The battery is a UPP S039-3 I got from Golden Motor and was a replacement for the Shark 48v 11.6ah battery I ordered.

The specs on the page below state it can handle 30A constant discharge:

https://www.uppbattery.com/products/ebike-battery-48v-13ah-hailong--li-ion-battery-free-shipping-from-usa

I do have a controller program cable and the software but I have not changed the default settings at all.  I'll take a look at what the settings are and post them here.

Offline Dmoore

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2022, 02:42:55 AM »
I've attached the controller configuration.  Does it look correct?  24v voltage looks wrong for a 48v battery and current settings look high.  Any official suggestions from Golden Motor?   I don't want to randomly play with these settings.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 10:23:58 AM »
That link didn't work for me, but if the battery is supposed to be able to deliver 30A continuous, I would not expect it to be cutting out.

Regarding the controller settings, try reducing the Peak Maximum Current to 30A and see if it still cuts out.
If it does still cut out, I think the battery may have a faulty BMS or weak cell group that is causing the cutting out problem under load.
If this is the case, you will need to contact your supplier for further information regarding their warranty procedure for the battery.

The 24V Motor Voltage setting should be OK to use as some forum members have mentioned that it gives improved torque when using the controller on the 24V setting with a 48V battery.

If you have a Reverse switch wired up, I would suggest setting the REV mode to Unimm instead of Immed in case the Reverse switch is accidentally activated while travelling forwards.
This should ensure that the motor will not try to "immediately" run in reverse, but will wait until the wheel has stopped going forwards before power can be applied in Reverse.

I suspect that the dual trike will have sufficient weight on the front wheel to prevent it from wheelspinning under heavy acceleration, but if you find that the front wheel does try to spin when full throttle is quickly applied, try reducing the Acceleration level until the wheelspin is eliminated.

If you want the trike to go faster under motor power (without exceeding the legally permitted speed), simply increase the FWD Speed Scale until the required/legal speed is achieved.

Alan