Author Topic: Installing 48 Volt Horn  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Leftiebiker

• Confirmed
Installing 48 Volt Horn
« on: July 28, 2022, 09:35:36 PM »
   I bought a 48 volt horn from Amazon to use with the horn output wire on my MP-5. The more I read, though, the less straightforward it gets. First, the horn has only a simple diagram for wiring. It shows the "+" wire going directly (via a fuse) to the battery +, and the "-" wire running, through a button, to ground. The MP outputs (I assume) a +48 volt pulse when the green button is pressed. So how do I wire the horn, and is the fuse needed in this situation? Also, the drawing doesn't make clear which terminal is the + and which the -. They aren't interchangeable, are they...?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Installing 48 Volt Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 11:13:53 PM »
First check that the current draw for the horn is less than 1 Amp, as the thin wires in the MP5 control harness and horn switch are not suitable for high current.
I recommend that you use a 1A fuse to protect your wiring harness in the event of a short circuit within the horn unit, otherwise your wiring harness could quickly become damaged internally.

If the horn has two separate (not common) unmarked connections, it shouldn't matter which way around they are connected.
Connect the Yellow Horn feed wire via a 1A fuse to one connection and connect the Blue Horn ground wire to the other.

Make sure all connections are safely insulated to prevent any unwanted short circuits.  :o

Alan

Offline Leftiebiker

• Confirmed
Re: Installing 48 Volt Horn
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2022, 03:46:30 AM »
   I tried to reply three times last night, but they never showed up. Anyway, I got the horn installed with a fuse, and it's great! It sounds like an angry Japanese car. I'm slowly finishing my Magnum Metro conversion, and have been riding the bike for a few weeks now. I was hoping for a tad more than 25MPH, but that will do - especially with a quiet motor. Despite false claims to the contrary, the Metro's top speed with the loud OEM Das Kit motor is only 21MPH.