Author Topic: Magic Pie R-270  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Qb_one

• Confirmed
Magic Pie R-270
« on: July 27, 2022, 10:31:45 AM »
Hi,

Help me to identify my MagicPie 20" cast wheel -  there is mark MP-270-11051829 (type and serial number, I guess)

What version/generation is it, what SW should be used to program it? Pinout will be helpfull as well :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie R-270
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 01:19:17 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

If it has an external controller, it is probably a MPII with the BAC-281P controller:

If it has an internal controller and is noticeably noisier under power, it is probably a MPIII.

Later MPIII kits were supplied with MP4 style wiring harnesses with the ten pin connectors instead of eight.

If it has an internal controller and is not noticeably noisier under power it will be a MP4 or MP5 (Vector controllers).

The only difference between the MP4 and MP5 is the Bluetooth capability of the MP5 which requires an external Bluetooth dongle.

Please see the eBike D.I.Y. section of the goldenmotor.com website for programming cables and software downloads.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Offline Qb_one

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 12:10:19 PM »
It has internal controller, power cable and signal cable with 8-pin round connector comes out from shaft

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2022, 10:39:27 PM »
If it has the 8 pin connector it should be either an MPII or an MPIII:

The internal controller on the MPII (shown on the left in the above photo) was completely enclosed and not visible from outside, whereas the outer surface of the MPIII's controller was partially visible inside the brake disc mounting plate/cooling fan assembly as can be seen on the MPIII wheel on the right.

Alan

Offline Qb_one

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2022, 09:57:42 AM »
It's completely enclosed, so it's MPII.
Now, how to "talk" with it? Should I open the cover to access Rx/Tx pins, at what side?
What SW to be used? MP3_Programm_New? (this one downloadable from Goldenmotor.com site contains a few viruses!!!, or at least Symantec reports it)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 02:07:19 PM by Qb_one »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 12:37:41 AM »
The original USB cable plugged into the 8 pin connector to program the controller, but I don't know which pin was used for the Transmit data (Tx) connection, although I suspect it could be the Throttle Signal Pin 4  (Pin 6 = +5V, Pin 2 = Ground, & Pin 1 = Rx).
The following diagram was for the original Magic Pie but later controllers had the "Not Used" Yellow wire permanently connected to both Reverse (d) and the Receive data (Rx) contacts via a soldered link wire joining the two contacts:

If you need to remove the cover to access the controller contacts directly, you would need to remove the Right Hand side cover (Not the left side cover with the disc mounting holes).

The PD_282_speed.RAR file containing the MP3 PROGRAM NEW.exe is the one that you need to use to install the programming software for the controller.

I could not detect any Viruses or Malware with the above .RAR file, the extracted .EXE file or any of the installed program files when scanned with both Avast Antivirus and Malwarebytes.

Alan

Offline Qb_one

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 07:32:32 AM »
Many thanks, Alan!  I will open the cover and try to connect in next days.