Author Topic: 48V 10kW Motor just won't start!!  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Breaksj

• Confirmed
48V 10kW Motor just won't start!!
« on: June 09, 2022, 08:51:58 PM »
Hi All,

Firstly thanks for all the information already posted on this forum it has been very useful, but unfortunately I'm still a little stuck.

I have a 10kw (48v) BLDC Motor with the VEC500 and once all connected up I can get the controller to beep and accept the parameters sent to it via the USB cable but once restarted the every time I apply any throttle (fwd or reverse) I get 14beeps and no movement of the motor.

I've tried both the joystick throttle, and a separate potentiometer (as discussed in another thread I found) with various different parameters but to no avail. It seems that I'm getting the right voltage across the throttle again as detailed in another thread (+5v and about 1.2v on the throttle signal when in neutral and a change as the throttle is applied)

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to try next to get the motor to work so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

James

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 48V 10kW Motor just won't start!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 11:21:49 PM »
Hi James andto the forum.

14 regular beeps/flashes usually occurs when the Throttle is not in the idle state when the system is initially powered on.
Although I don't have any first hand experience with the VEC500 controller, I would expect the error to disappear completely once the throttle signal voltage had changed to a value within the expected "Neutral" or "throttle released" voltage range appropriate to the selected throttle type.  :-\

I think your 1.2V in Neutral might be too low for a boat type throttle with the Hyperbola throttle mode selection or could be slightly too high for a released normal style throttle with Linear throttle mode selection.
Boat style Reverse-Neutral-Forward throttles should be ~2.2V in neutral (1.2V = full reverse and 3.2V = full forward) and a typical zero to maximum type throttle should be 0.8~1.0V when released, and the motor should start to spin at 1.2V until it reaches maximum rpm at 3.2V with these settings:

If the throttle parameter settings and the throttle signal voltages are all correct, try changing the Speed throttle type from 0:Hall effect throttle and 1:Potentiometer throttle (or vice versa) to see if it makes any noticeable difference.

If you can export the parameters to a *.foc file and then attach the file to another post, I will take a look at them to see if something is obviously amiss with any of the parameters that could be preventing the motor from running.

If you have already sorted the problem, please update this thread with the solution, and also consider attaching the *.foc file of the working parameters (along with the actual throttle signal voltages you have observed if possible) as this information could be really helpful for others who may be experiencing similar problems.

Alan

Offline Breaksj

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 10:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I've attached photos of the current setup I have installed on the controller that give me the 14 beeps. I've tried changing to and from hall/potentiometer/linear/hyperbola etc but either get the 14beeps or continuous beeps (when hall type selected).

The throttle voltages are 2.07v in neutral, 0.48v at full ahead and 3.73v when full astern. Again any suggestions as to what to try next would be great.

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 12:08:01 PM »
I can't see anything obviously wrong with your existing settings but here are my suggestions:
  • Set Speed throttle type to 0:Hall effect throttle
  • Set Motor overtemperature protection enable to 1:Enable
  • Set Throttle voltage range protection enable to 1:Enable
  • Set Acceleration (rpm/s) to 600
  • Set the Forword Speed ratio(%) to 100
I can't be sure, but I think the following throttle voltage settings might be more suited to your specific throttle voltages:

Also make sure you are clicking the correct icon for saving the parameters to the controllers as the icons are confusing:

After saving any altered parameters, read the parameters from the controller again to verify that the settings have been correctly saved.

I am also puzzled by the "continuous beeps (when hall type selected)", are you sure there is no discernible pause?

I seem to recall something about 16 beeps when the controller is powered on with the programming cable still connected.
After saving all settings, try disconnecting the programming cable before powering up the controller to see if it makes any difference.

Unfortunately, I don't know why your motor does not run, but hopefully something I have suggested may help.

However, if you are still unable to get it to run, I think GM China will need to be contacted for further technical assistance (email: sales@goldenmotor.com or Tel: +86 51981 004118).

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Alan

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »
Hi James,
Just a few thoughts, inquires if I may... no particular order.

Your throttle output voltages seem reversed for boat motor operation in regard to forward and reverse direction. May be an indication of something. Would you mind posting a link to your throttle?
I know a mis-wired throttle can act in an opposite manner, both Pot and hall sensored.

.48vdc on the low end would seem low for a hall throttle.

You may want to check the wiring all the way from the throttle to the actual pinouts of the 30 pin connector.

The issue only starts when powered up, and ONLY after touching the throttle? Please include any and all throttle voltages seen during testing. (input/output, static or operating.) Especially when the error first occurs.

During this time of troubleshooting, you have all other non-essential connectors, or added peripherals disconnected?

Regards,
T.C.

See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Breaksj

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 08:10:36 PM »
Thanks again for the suggestions and confirming the upload/download settings I have to admit that did confuse me the first time but one of your previous posts alerted me to my error!

Unfortunately no change with the revised settings, but have since engaged with GM to see what they suggest to.

T.C. answers to your questions:
Would you mind posting a link to your throttle?
Photo added below. Excuse the untidy wires I removed the connectors to check the wiring, current setup is the only one that provides power to the throttle. Controller on the left of the image throttle on the right.
I know a mis-wired throttle can act in an opposite manner, both Pot and hall sensored.

.48vdc on the low end would seem low for a hall throttle.

You may want to check the wiring all the way from the throttle to the actual pinouts of the 30 pin connector.
Checked out and everything seems to display correctly

The issue only starts when powered up, and ONLY after touching the throttle?Thats correct, there is a small amount of throttle movement before the error code starts - but no motor movement Please include any and all throttle voltages seen during testing. (input/output, static or operating.) Especially when the error first occurs.
In neutral voltage reads 2.04v, alarm starts at 1.84v when moved forward, fully forward the voltage is 0.48v. In reverse the alarm starts at 2.17v and reads 3.74v when full astern. Interestingly the voltage when the throttle is not connected is 4.6v - not sure if that's relevant.

During this time of troubleshooting, you have all other non-essential connectors, or added peripherals disconnected?No nothing other than the hall sensor to the motor - if this is unplugged the 5 beeps error code is sounded rather than the 14beeps!

Thanks

James

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 09:53:57 PM »
When your testing your throttle output. Your meter’s BLACK lead is on the throttle’s BLACK wire. And the RED lead goes to the GREEN wire?

What is your throttle’s make and model? Link to its product page where you bought it if available…

I need to correct myself on a mis-wired throttle reversing output. It just appears that way if not tested as above…
But can be actually reversed by flipping the polarity of the magnet in reference to the sensor face.
Or flipping the sensor side facing the magnet.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.