Author Topic: MP5 usb programming windows 10  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
MP5 usb programming windows 10
« on: June 05, 2022, 09:16:16 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm back, it's been a while....... (because everything has been working fine). I am now in need of changing the settings on a MP5 (RPM, Voltage cutoffs, etc). The last time I did it was on a windows 7 laptop, but that is gone now. I have downloaded the software to my new win10 computer, and watched Garys old video of how the set up the com ports, but that doesn't work with win10.

I have googled, read advice, and all the stuff that I'm supposed to do before coming here and bothering ppl, but no luck. I plug the bike in to a usb on my comp it makes a sound, I open the programming software, click on the com port dropdown and it only shows 1 port (com port 3) , turn the power on and nothing happens.

I go to device manager in win10 but for the life of me can't find com port settings. Do I have the most current MP5 software? Can anyone point me in the right direction for win10 port settings?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP5 usb programming windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 11:58:07 AM »
Hi Paul,

I recently tried programming an early Smart Pie 4 controller using an old Windows 10 Laptop that had not been used for quite some time. The Laptop took ages to boot up, install numerous updates, and restart several times before I was eventually able to use it.

I then downloaded the latest PI-800.exe program (V3.3.0.b150501) from goldenmotor.com, but I then had to download and install a free trial version of WinRAR to enable the downloaded PI-800.rar file to be unpacked, which I then extracted to a new folder on the desktop that I renamed "PI-800 V3.3.0" to avoid any confusion.

I plugged in the USB programming cable (making sure I used the correct 5 pin version for SP4, MP4, MP5 and MP Edge etc.) and had to wait a while for Windows to locate and install the required drivers.

I was eventually able to see the new COM port displayed in Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT) which was listed as USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM3).

I opened the PI-800 program and selected COM3 from the dropdown menu and then clicked the "Connect" icon and soon received the expected "no response because of timeout" message box.
I click the "OK" button and then powered up the controller, which was then able to communicate the laptop and display the "Upload parameters successfully" message box.

I was then able to successfully change and save parameters using the download icon:

Unfortunately, I am still unable to save and reload the controller's parameters, as I still receive the "Unable to export, file length error" message while trying to import the selected "successfully exported" file.  :(

I have to simply save a screenshot of the parameters instead, so I can manually enter the parameters again if required.
As I'm not a fan of Windows 10, I prefer to use the Windows 7 "Snipping tool" for capturing small selections, or "Alt" & "Print Scrn" to capture the entire "active" window. I seldom use "Print Scrn" on its own, as this captures the entire desktop area (which can be very large when you have a dual or multi monitor display with high resolution screens).

If you are unable to connect to the controller, try restarting the laptop.
If you are still unable to connect to the controller after the restart, try running the PI-800 program in compatibility mode for Windows 7:
  • Make sure the program is not already open
  • Right click the PI-800 program file and select Properties at the bottom of the list
  • Click the Compatibility tab
  • Tick the Compatibility mode checkbox "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
  • Select "Windows 7" from the dropdown menu
  • Click the "OK" button
Reopen the program, select the correct COM port and then see if it can connect as expected.

If you'd like to try an older version of the programming software, there are links to several versions at the bottom of my "Useful Links" post.

Hopefully you will be now able to connect.

Alan

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 08:05:18 AM »
Hi Alan,

Well once again you pulled my ass out of the fire,... with 4 little words, "click the OK button". now stay with me here....

I'm posting this mostly for folks that are in a similar situation. Here are the vids that Gary put up   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBsP8q40Vws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahcEXpMBxuA

You will notice that in his device manager he had access to the "com ports" option, for some reason I didn't. I installed the driver of course and just plugged the usb cable into one of my front ports (it showed up as port 3 in the software)
Click on the dropdown ports and there is only com3 there, but if I put it in different ports, different numbers show up in the dropdown list, but only one at a time. Port 4, port 8 and so on.

You will also see in his vids that once the error message comes up he simply powers up the batt and it works. That's where I got stuck.

What I had to do was ... leave it at whatever com port it defaulted to, hit "connect", wait for the fail,.. HIT OK, turn the power on, and hit connect again, and Bob's yer uncle, can get in every time.

I hope this helps someone and thanks very much Alan.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 09:03:45 AM »
You will notice that in his device manager he had access to the "com ports" option, for some reason I didn't. I installed the driver of course and just plugged the usb cable into one of my front ports (it showed up as port 3 in the software)
Click on the dropdown ports and there is only com3 there, but if I put it in different ports, different numbers show up in the dropdown list, but only one at a time. Port 4, port 8 and so on.

If your no COM ports in your laptop were already in use, then it wouldn't show up in the Ports (COM & LPT) section of the Device Manager.
If you had plugged the USB programming cable into a USB port before looking in device manager, then the relevant COM port should have been visible if the required USB driver was fully installed.

It's good to know that you've managed to find the solution to your connection problem.

Alan

Offline Pzal123

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 09:44:58 PM »
Well my point is that I don't have Ports (COM&LPT) in my device manager at all.

Not sure if the image is going to post.

So I just wanted to post the process that I did to make it work, in case someone else has the same issue.

Thx again Alan.