Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 Brake switch vs Tektro Auriga Hydraulic Brake Switches  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Leftiebiker

• Confirmed
   I have the MP5V wheel kit, but the bike to be converted has hydraulic brakes and I would prefer not to be splicing wires. Is there a MP to Tektro brake switch adapter?

(Ok, please stop laughing. I just hoped...)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 Brake switch vs Tektro Auriga Hydraulic Brake Switches
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 10:32:56 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Unfortunately, I think splicing the wires is going to be your only option as I am not aware of any adaptors available for this specific application.

Alan

Offline Leftiebiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 10:49:21 AM »
   Thanks. Can someone give me the short version of how to decide which pin does what? I don't even know exactly how the motor inhibitor switches work, precisely...why 3 wires, for example?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 12:52:35 PM »
The GM wires for the brake switch are usually Red, Black and Blue, but only the Black and Blue are typically used with the standard GM mechanical brake switches as shown below:

The above picture of the MP4 & SP4 brake connector also applies to the MP5, MPEdge and SP5 brake connectors.
The socket on the left is the Black ground wire connection and the socket on the right is the Blue brake signal wire connection.
The top socket Labelled as "Not used" is for the unused Red +5V supply wire.

The additional Red wire is a +5V supply for a Hall Sensor controlled brake sensing device, where a magnet is used to effectively switch the Blue signal wire to Ground (Black wire) within the Hall Sensor when the brakes are applied.

The three pin connectors in the above diagram show the connections of the wires on the control harness viewed from the pin side of the connectors, therefore the connections on the brake lever connectors viewed from the socket side are effectively a mirror image of those shown on the Control Harness layout.

Alan

Offline Leftiebiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 04:20:22 AM »
   Thanks very much! So I just have to match the GM Black & Blue wires to the two wires in the Tektro brake switch cable. Does it matter how they are spliced, assuming the colors don't match?

Now, Can someone explain to me why there are NO WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS for the MP5 kit??? I tried a couple of the videos, but one that claimed to be installation instructions was just for installing the freewheel, and the other was for dual motors. I also tried the links at this site for things like "What is the unused wire for?" only to get 404 errors. Why does GM treat installation instructions in written form like national secrets?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 08:30:59 PM »
If the Tektro switch only uses two wires (like the GM switches), it will not matter which way around they are connected as a physical switch which is not polarity dependant.

There are no recent installation instructions for the later Magic Pies but the installation will be similar to the MPII instructions.
Gary's detailed thread showing the installation of the external Magic Pie II is also helpful.

Further information can be found in the original GoldenMotor installation instructions can be found here.

Please let me know which links are not working by using the "Report to moderator" link at the bottom of the post and I'll look into the problem when I have more time to spare.

Alan

Offline Leftiebiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 12:04:20 AM »
   Thanks, and great timing! I'm just about to go into my cold semi-heated garage and try to finish removing the Das Crap, er Kit from my Magnum Metro. If it goes well I'll try to install the PAS sensor after removing the old one. (I'm trying to keep the kit's components intact and connected so I can maybe sell them, or put them on my Sister's old EZIP Trails.)

Offline Leftiebiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »
   Just to answer my own question: I test fit one of the Auriga brake switch pigtails to one of the connectors in the MP5 wiring harness, and they match perfectly.

AARGH. Nope! What matches perfectly are the connectors on the GM harness for brakes, and the THUMB THROTTLE on the bike. The two cables were right next to each other, I was tired...you get the picture. Looks like it's wire splicing time.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 07:11:16 AM by Leftiebiker »