Author Topic: MagicPie-Edge and cycle analyst 3  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Nimrod

• Confirmed
MagicPie-Edge and cycle analyst 3
« on: December 31, 2021, 09:46:40 AM »
Hi, would like to buy and install a cycle analyst on my bike, I have  rear MagicPie-Edge 5. Could you help me to chose the good wire and plug? I also want to add solar panel on my ebike.
Thanks.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MagicPie-Edge and cycle analyst 3
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:53:50 PM »
Hi Nimrod,

I have never used or installed a Cycle Analyst, so I don't know what wires and connectors it comes with, so it is difficult to say what may be required.
Hopefully, someone who has already installed one will be kind enough to reply.

Adding a solar panel would require a suitable charge controller to suit your particular battery voltage/chemistry to safely ensure that the battery could not be overcharged.

Alan

Offline Nimrod

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 06:25:44 PM »

Adding a solar panel would require a suitable charge controller to suit your particular battery voltage/chemistry to safely ensure that the battery could not be overcharged.

Alan

Thanks Alan.
yes I know about the charger controller.

Offline Aum

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 10:38:19 PM »
olo

i am in process of finalizing my trailer - test ride was a fun
trailer uses 2 pcs of edge e-wheels
i also use cycle analyst 3.1(4) (aka ca3), wp model (8 wires plug)
i also bought solar sense
generally, I thought I need all the whistles and bells available on grin site
i was wrong
solar sense is only used to monitor data from solar panels, via mppt solar boost charge controller
since my computer (both windows 10 and linux) did not register ca3, I could not update firmware to ca3 solar firmware
therefore connecting grin's solar sense to ca3 will do nothing

regarding which model and wires - imho, any of available models would do, since you would in any case have to do custom wiring (be warned, I might be wrong):
- green throttle out wire from grin ca3 goes to green throttle in wire of edge (mp5) controller
- also black ground wire needs to be connected - from black ca3 wire to black edge (mp5) controller (harness) wire
- edge controller settings: throttle enable: 0 (close ? disable) - because ca3 will do the throttling - if, as recommended, one will connect throttle to ca3 (thi = throttle in); I believe, if one would use original throttle, via original gm harness, then controller settings would be: throttle enable: 1 (open ? enable)

in my case, everything works just fine, except regen braking, which I am troubleshooting for the last week or more, together with physical brakes
just can't find any useful info how to make edge's regen braking work, with ca3
i think I need to connect e-brake (signal) wire to edge's controller (brake; blue; #6) wire, and in controller settings: regen braking: 1 (open ? enable)
fair warning: e-brake signal wire also must be connected to ca3 e-brake input, otherwise, when (e-)brake is applied, ca3 will not disengage the throttle/pas/cruise control, and this might clash with (internal) edge's controller regen braking
not sure, but as of this moment I see no other option than trial & error - by now, I am used to it, lol

above info has been found in (un)official cycle analyst user manual, long version, which is outdated, yet still useful
attached is colored version of the harness/motor wire (plug) scheme, found online
again, be fairly warned, the colors can change in your case, double check before you connect wires

edit: attached image shows harness plug, while motor plug is mirrored, yet the positions of wires are the same, relative to plug's safe notch

best regards

have fun

aum
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 10:50:54 PM by Aum »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »
I think I need to connect e-brake (signal) wire to edge's controller (brake; blue; #6) wire, and in controller settings: regen braking: 1 (open ? enable)
fair warning: e-brake signal wire also must be connected to ca3 e-brake input, otherwise, when (e-)brake is applied, ca3 will not disengage the throttle/pas/cruise control, and this might clash with (internal) edge's controller regen braking

You are correct regarding the need to connect the e-brake signal wire to the Edge's controller (see my reply to your other post for more details).

Activating the regen will automatically override the throttle/pas/cruise control signal from the C/A while activated, but might not cancel the C/A cruise control if the brake signal wire was not also connected to the C/A, possibly causing the C/A Cruise control to automatically resume when the brakes were released again.  :-\

I have also updated the MP5/SP5 wiring diagram with the colours you have added.  ;)

Alan