Author Topic: Kit For tandem  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Kit For tandem
« on: November 03, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
I have had a MP3  for years now . and got to know its quirks. I am thinking of electfying my Tandem. 26"   will the wiring on a new mp5 be long enough for a tandem.Otherwise how do I get around this.
Also how do I order for best deal to UK delivery
Thanks all

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Kit For tandem
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 03:12:57 PM »
Hi Brian, the size and style of your tandem's frame will greatly affect the required length of cable:

The cable can be extended by splicing in a length of 8 core network cable as explained in this post.

To get the best deal you will have to shop around and ask for quotes via email or phone.

Don't forget to include shipping charges, Import Duty, VAT and currency exchange rates etc. for items purchased outside of the UK.

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 08:55:34 AM »
Thanks Alan. Somebody selling kits on e bay UK, but the price must be wrong. Can I use my USB program fro. my mp3 on the later type hub. U also will need an hydraulic brake to mechanical brake sensor. Are they any good?thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2021, 01:16:11 PM »
Can I use my USB program from my mp3 on the later type hub.

Unfortunately the MPIII USB programming cable is not compatible with the MP5 (or MP4) as they requires a different USB programming lead with the correct 5 pin connector to plug into the Vector controller's wiring harness, and they also use different programming software.

Also will need an hydraulic brake to mechanical brake sensor. Are they any good?

I have not tried any brake sensors conversions for hydraulic levers so I am unable to comment on either their ease of installation or their operation.

GM Canada sell hydraulic brake kits that are designed to plug straight in to the MP5 control harness, but I'm not sure if the tubing would be long enough for a tandem rear brake.  :-\

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 11:04:54 PM »
Thanks Alan. Buying direct from China seems my only option so far, around £380 inc postage!