Author Topic: Front V-brake adjustment with MP's offset motor ..  (Read 2912 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Front V-brake adjustment with MP's offset motor ..
« on: November 13, 2020, 09:22:13 PM »

Hello , I did search for this and only found threads about how to "fix" the offset wheel ... They  all seemed very hard to do to me ...I have just gotten by with shimming the pads to try and makeup for the wheel not being centered ...it works ....Sorta ... I seem to have problems with brake drag and can't seem to adjust it out without adjusting to where there is no brake at the lever ... I just live with some drag ......Any Suggestions ???  ....Thanks ..Don J.

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Front V-brake adjustment with MP's offset motor ..
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 10:15:00 PM »
Hi Don,

Take a look at this post as it contains some useful information and video links which should help reduce the problem with your brakes binding.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:42:36 PM »

Hi Alan , Was just revisiting this post about the wheel being off center ...Had the bike into a shop today derailer hanger was bent .. The mechanic was pretty confused about the off center front wheel ... I told him it was "Normal" ... I have had no trouble from it once I got the brakes set up for it ..over a year .. ride almost every day ..   But I still would like to know why it's off center ...Is it for the disc brake setup ? I really don't care just would like to know the reason for it ,,,

Online Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 12:54:06 AM »
Hi Don,

The hubs on front wheels are offset to the right to allow for the brake disc, whereas the hubs on the rear wheels are offset to the left to allow room for the gear cluster.

The offset wheel rims on the original spoked Magic Pies was due to the narrow flange design of the original motor ring which was unfortunately centred within the offset hub instead of the dropouts, which is why I had to modify mine by adding an additional flange ring to allow the rim to be properly centred:

The rims on the later spoked Magic Pies (MPII onwards) should be correctly centred if the wheels have been built correctly.

If a spoked rim is offset on a MPII, MPIII, MP4 or MP5, it is because the rim was not properly centred during assembly, and it should be possible to sort this simply by readjusting the spokes correctly.

The 16" cast Magic Pie rims were ~7mm offset on the front and ~9mm offset on the rear, which is why I proposed that the 20" cast rim should be offset by 7mm in relation to the hub to allow the front wheels to align correctly for improved steering and the same rim fitted to the rear motor would only have a 2mm offset.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 05:59:40 PM »

Hi Alan .. Thanks for the reply ...You have confirmed what I thought (maybe) all along .. They seem to work fine now ...I upgraded my brakes to "deore" ..No more Dragging .. Still ride most every day Magic Pie hasn't let me down ...EVER ..