Author Topic: Kit Arrived  (Read 9030 times)

Offline paulb

Kit Arrived
« on: July 26, 2007, 12:17:15 AM »
My kit has arrived.  I was not home when it was delivered, and my wife signed for it without inspecting.  I found that the wires leaving the axle are frayed and will need repair.  I will fix it myself rather than send the kit back.  I may even install a connector near the axle to simplify tire removal. I am excited about getting everything put together, but will take my time and do it right. I will post more when I get the kit installed.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Kit Arrived
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »

Offline paulb

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
Thanks!

Offline paulb

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 09:27:36 PM »
I soldered the broken sensor leads and took a test drive.  The first few feet the motor was chugging, I tried again and things were ok for about a mile, then chugging again.  Some of the posts I have read here made me think that maybe a hall sensor had gone bad, or a bad connection.  I opened the hub and checked for continuity of the sensor leads. I pulled all the pins from the sensor connector, one at a time. When the green one was removed the motor would still chug, when any of the others were removed the motor would not go at all.  I would attempt to replace the sensor myself, but have 2 questions.  How do you remove the stator from the motor?  Mine does not want to budge. And how do you get the sensors out  they seem to be either very tightly fit or glued in.

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 10:58:05 PM »
Brief sensor replacement guide here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EWL8QR1F3SYTODB/

Offline paulb

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 12:19:04 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I still don't think I can get the sensors out without wrecking them.  I thought if I could get the stator out of the motor I would be able to pry them up from underneath. 

Offline paulb

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 12:24:51 AM »
I found a post where MyElectricBike explained how he chipped the old sensor out.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 02:47:58 AM »
Although I used superglue to secure the replacement sensors the originals used some sort of mastic too. Since sensors are only around a dollar each, chip, chip away and be sure to use a dental pick to completely remove all hardened mastic from the sensor well when you are done chipping.

Offline paulb

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 02:17:44 AM »
The hall sensors arrived today.  Got the bad one replaced and went for a ride.  It works!  I probably should have sent the kit back when I found the broken leads, but I didn't want to wait for a replacment.  I ended up buying sensors and waiting for them.  On the up side I know the motor a lot better than I would have otherwise.  I hope that is the end of the problems for a while.  Thanks for the the advice on the sensor replacment.  I'll check in after I've had a chance to put on some miles.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 02:44:02 AM »
Here is my email address just in case. ebike<at>verizon.com, with of course the <at> replaced by the symbol. There are some things about a broken sensor lead that are easier to discuss by email.