Author Topic: magic external controller options  (Read 2256 times)

Offline A Brinkman

• Confirmed
magic external controller options
« on: October 06, 2020, 01:42:41 AM »
anyone familiar with the magic external controller enough to tell me how to wire the soft shut off. There is a jumper between the 5v terminal s and I suspect I can simply cut the switch in series with these terminals, but would like to confirm. The manual claims there is a theft protection option available if this soft is used, any truth to that ? and any opinions on the use of this option ?

thanks in advance for all of your wisdom and insight  ;D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: magic external controller options
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 04:03:37 PM »
Unfortunately, neither the eBike D.I.Y User Manual nor the Prokit 901/902 technical Manual has been updated in the last 11 years, but during this time many changes have been made to both the controllers and the wiring.  ::)

To my knowledge, the Anti-Theft alarm function has not been available on the external controller for at least 9 years and I'm pretty sure that the "soft-switch" (or "Lock" switch shown in the following diagram) was only used for controllers that supported the Anti-Theft function:

Early controllers had an external wire looped between the "B+" connector and the "G" terminal that could be cut to to allow the switch to be inserted if required:

But some controllers appear to have the battery feed directly connected to the "G" terminal inside the controller:

I've had the same problem with one of my magic controllers (36v V2)..
The 'G' wire had no effect on "turning off" the controller.
I suspect, by mistake (or on purpose), they soldered the 'g' wire connection to the main power line INSIDE the controller.
I wanted to use it for setting the alarm function, but alas, couldn't.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "There is a jumper between the 5v terminal s and I suspect I can simply cut the switch in series with these terminals" so it's difficult to comment on this.

Which terminals on the above controller are you referring to?

Alan