Author Topic: Magic Pie Edge Pedelec not working correctly  (Read 2771 times)

Offline Clarkclan

• Confirmed
Magic Pie Edge Pedelec not working correctly
« on: September 22, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
Looking for possible solution my pedelec issue - I have a new Magic Pie Edge set for 36 volts. I’m using an pre-exsisting PAS sensor which has seven magnetic poles on it. The sensor has 3 wires (red, black and green). I wired it to the MP Edge (red to red, black to black, green to yellow, not using the blue reverse wire). The issue is when pedaling slowly at any smart display PAS setting it offers no assistance, but if put into a low gear and the pedals go around quickly it will go to full power at all settings and stay at full power even though I’m spinning out. I gear up to reduce pedal spin and the power drops off. It is a single sprocket at sensor and no movement change at the sensor.
I tried changing the PAS setting (up and down) in the program but it made no difference. New PAS sensors also have 3 wires so I was thinking changing it would make no difference.
Looking for suggestions.....
Thanks......Jeff

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie Edge Pedelec not working correctly
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 10:12:02 PM »
Hi Jeff andto the forum.

If your existing PAS sensor is a variable voltage type it will not work with the Magic Pie Edge, because the controller (and Smart Display PAS levels) is designed to work with a pulse type PAS sensor.

Both types of sensors use three wires, but one produces a variable voltage in relation to the pedal speed, while the other produces a series of pulses that also vary with pedal speed.

Fitting the correct PAS Sensor should hopefully enable the Pedelec to work as intended.

Alan

Offline Clarkclan

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie Edge Pedelec not working correctly
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 01:00:32 AM »
The Pedelec sensor is the simple disc type with 7 magnets around the disc with a sensor the detects motion when the magnets pass by the sensor. It looks the same / similar to the sensor being sold on the Golden Motor web site. I have seen a number of posts by others also having issues with the PAS sensor and the 601 smart display only working at full power if at all.
I would buy and install a new PAS sensor, but I don’t see any difference other than maybe the number magnets in the disc. If the Golden motor PAS sensor with the 601 smart display is working for someone I would like to know before buying and installing just to have the same issue with the new sensor.
Looking for someone that uses the PAS sensor with the smart display to confirm they work well together.
Thanks......Jeff