Author Topic: Turning On 48V 10AH Battery Voltage Shows 57 Volts And Then Starts To Increse  (Read 4715 times)

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Still chasing my problem of shut down. (It did not happen this morning on a smooth riding surface and a 29 mile ride.)  Is it normal for the 48V10AH to show a voltage of 57V and then start increasing to about 58.3 after it has been charged. The battery charger never seems to shut off at the same voltage. Normally it is 57 to58 with it showing 60 one time.  I will open it up to see if the rear of the switch is being miss placed by the wiring.  (Thanks for the tip!)  I just need to have my grandson get the maximum distance from a charge. Tom

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Typical maximum charge for a Lithium Ion battery pack is 54.6 vdc.  :o  With the erratic shut-off voltage which is constantly too high, perhaps it is depending on the Battery Management System's overvoltage safety to end the charge. Bad place to be...  :-\  If your meter is good check the output of the charger by itself. It should be close to 54.6. I'd be wary of the charger. Battery voltages typically sag lower after charging
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Hello,

A 48v10AH LiFePO4 battery charges to 58.4v. Then as soon as the charger kicks out the voltage drops as the cells balance. You can see this happening in the beginning of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnG96BoMlj4 . If the voltage drops enough the charger may come on again to top it up and re-balance the cells.

So depending on how quickly you see the voltage after a charge is complete determines what the actual voltage is when you test it.

I have also seen when using a meter and getting inconstancy in the readings the meter is either faulty or needs a new battery.

Gary

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Hey Gary, I'll check the volt meter battery.  Thanks for the input!  How has the tariff stuff affected your business.  I hope the politician's will hurry up and get out of everyone's business, seems to me the less they do the better! Tom