Author Topic: No Edge for 16" rear?  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Robmc

• Confirmed
No Edge for 16" rear?
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
I have a greenspeed trike with 16" wheels all around that I was to put a pie on the rear of. I was hoping to go the new edge at 36v, but can't find it as an option - is it? Since the MP fits as a cast I was hoping the edge would too or with spokes.
As a fallback, I could go a Smart Pie 5 at 48v, but I can't find an option for internal controller either - is there one?
Is there very much difference between the internal and external? I was assuming the internal is much better as it is more protected, integrated and probably runs cooler with air going past at the wheel.

Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: No Edge for 16" rear?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:49:40 AM »
Hi Rob andto the forum.

The Magic Pie Edge motors are the same for 24, 36 or 48V. So if you can find a Magic Pie Edge rear motor with a 16" rim, it will run on 36V with the controller voltage set to 36V.

The smallest Magic Pie Edge wheels that I've seen advertised have 20" spoked rims.
I haven't checked the measurements yet, but it might just be possible to fit a shallow section (not deep "V") 16" rim with radial laced spokes, but only if the gap between the hub and the rim is large enough and you can obtain short enough spokes.

All Smart Pie 5 motors are supplied with an internal controller.

The SP2x is wired specifically for use with an external controller:

The standard Smart Pie internal controllers can already supply more current than the motor can really cope with, so the only real benefit of having an external controller fitted to a Smart Pie would be to run the motor at higher voltages than the internal controller can withstand (60V and above) in order to produce higher speeds.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 12:36:10 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Robmc

• Confirmed
Re: No Edge for 16" rear?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 12:50:22 PM »
Thanks for your reply Alan!

Thats exactly what I thought too. Unfortunately I can't find a kit for the Edge on a 16" rear (and I'm not a bike tech), so I'm going to go with the SP5 kit "Smart Pie 5 (VECTOR) 16 Inch Rear Conversion Kit" from http://www.goldenmotor.bike/smart-pie-5-vector-16-inch-rear-conversion-kit/ and go 48V to come up to near 400W. Add thumb throttle and USB.

I would probably go a CA3 so I could later possibly go with a Thun BB, as I've used a custom pedelec upright and enjoyed the experience, but I would use mine as a Non-pedelec for a while.