Author Topic: Motor Shuts Down, Display Shows One Bar, Turn Off Key/Turn Back On Shows Full  (Read 3157 times)

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Running Edge with 48V.  Riding along at 10-11MPH showing full bars, then all at once motor shuts down, shows 1 bar for about 3 seconds then goes black.  Turn off key-turn on key and shows full bars, runs for some time and then repeats problem.  I did this for three time and then turn off-on and did not use motor any more on ride home and the display never went off.  Checked battery at home and showed 50.6 volts without a load.  I have the controller set to limit surges when using the PAS so there is not much instant power, could this have some bearing?  Ran fine until today? Thanks, Tom

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Tom,

Presumably, the battery power disappears altogether (battery gauge LEDs on the throttle go off as well) and instantly comes back on when the battery is turned off and back on again?

It could be due to a poor connection on the keyswitch which could fail under load, and the movement of the switch temporarily improves the poor connection enough for voltage to flow again. Check out this post for more details.

It could also be a problem with a weak (faulty) battery cell whose individual voltage drops too far as soon as any load is applied, as this would cause the battery's BMS to shut of the power to protect the low voltage cell.

Another possible cause could be an intermittent short circuit which overloads the Battery's BMS causing it to shut off power to protect the battery.

Check carefully for signs of damage to the wires, especially where they exit the motor and are secured to the motor's axle. If the retaining clip has come loose, the insulation of the wires can soon be rubbed through by the centre of the rotating cooling fan/disc mount assembly which could cause a direct short circuit across the battery feed wires.

Alan

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Checked switch and all seems OK. Clip is in place and no wear on wires coming out of motor. Battery is a 48V10AH when fully charged show 54.1V.  It has never charged higher than 54.3V.  Just wondering if it is a bad or weak cell?  And if you think so how to I check for it?  We are going out in 30 minutes to ride, will see how it goes this morning? and get back to you with a report!! Thanks for your help.

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Update Edge Shut Down Issue
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 02:59:54 PM »
Charged battery 48V10AH yesterday, this morning it showed 53.8volts.  Road for 16.28 miles and showed 52.8 volts remaining.  The shut down problem did NOT happen this morning.  Just wondering about the weak cell you mentioned as a possible problem.  This unit has never taken the total voltage charge you said it should.  Generally it cuts off the charger at 54.3 volts.  My question is this?  If I do have a weak cell when my voltage is used down to 50.8 -51.0 volts but that weak cell is low enough to alert the controller to shut down to protect that cell IS that possible? If that is the case, what then?  I guess I could go out and ride putting more pressure on the battery to drop the voltage to see if that is a possibility?  As you can tell I'm in way over my head, here! Thanks ,Tom

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Hello Tom,

Its not unusual to have the voltage drop after a charge. It is perfectly normal to come hot off the charger at 58.4 and be at 53 shortly after as the cells balance. That is the beauty of LifePO4. Perfectly balanced cells every charge.

Watch this "Kill it as fast as you can video"

48v10ah battery test. https://youtu.be/GnG96BoMlj4

If you want to know what to expect from your battery watch the whole video to the end.

I'm thinking bad connection, loose wiring or a bad key switch.

Gary