Author Topic: Magic pie edge 500 watt, with pedal sensor. No a smooth ride?  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Simonthk

• Confirmed
Magic pie edge 500 watt, with pedal sensor. No a smooth ride?
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:42 AM »
Hello all

My name is Simon Kristensen. I am from Denmark and I build tricycles. I both like and dislike golden motor. The technology is great and ahead of others in some ways, but in other ways, they seem behind.

I am using pedal assist, and have some problems with smoothing the ride.
It seems that when I use the pedals, the motor gives power. The maximum power delivered is ofcourse given by the voltage and ampera settings.
But when I pedal, the motor quite quickly delivers the maximum wattage (which is set to 250 watt right now(48v battery 6A drawn battery current)). As soon as it reach the maximum wattage, it shut off the motor. So the motor speed up speed, shut off, speed up shut off etc.
Acceleration is set to 1.

Please does anyone have any idea of a solution for this?

Best regards Simon

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie edge 500 watt, with pedal sensor. No a smooth ride?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 12:11:45 PM »
Hi Simon andto the forum.

Have you tried adjusting the "PAS Ratio" setting to see if it helps?

Do you have the Bluetooth dongle to allow the different pedelec modes to be selected using a compatible Android phone?

If you don't have Bluetooth, the BAC-601 Smart Display unit can be used instead, and the handlebar mounted mode switch can easily be used to control the amount of pedal assist:

Please be aware that there are different versions of the BAC-601 Smart Display unit, and the MP4 version does not work with MP5 or MP Edge controllers.  ;)

Another possibility might be to use a voltage mode pedelec sensor and connect the output signal wire to the throttle signal wire instead of the pedelec signal wire, as the pedelec sensors provided with the GM kits tend to use a pulse mode, which will only work with the dedicated PAS input of the GM controllers.

Check out DirtyGinge's thread for more information.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:13:00 PM by Bikemad »

Offline OldManTomahawk

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie edge 500 watt, with pedal sensor. No a smooth ride?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »
Hi!  Having the same problem with surging on this model.  Did you change the PAS Ratio and did it fix the problem?  If so what did you change it to?  I changed the Acceleration to 25 and the EBS to 50, which helped, but no  power for quick starts, etc.  Thnaks ,Tom